b economics vs b com (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
I've realised that im not gonna get high enough for b com, but i think b eco is within range... could you guys please advise on the relative diffuculty in switching from b eco to bcom once the required marks have been achieved? ( not conerned about subjects)

Also how hard is it to change from a distinction average in b economics, to a b law/com course????

and another thing, im interested in finance, and i saw that uni mac have a applid finance/bcom combiend course? is this better than majoring in finance in a bcom course at unsw? and why?? :)

thank you so much!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Provided u get a UAI for economics, you should be able to transfer to commerce with a mid-credit average (as an absolute minimum) - but I'd try to aim for distinction average, simply because competition will be tougher every year

About the switch to law - with a distinction average in economics, you have almost no chance of getting into law (simply because I tried that and failed, with a UAI of 95.25 and a Distinction average in 1st yr B.Ec - again, it gets tougher every year)

about the mac v unsw - its up to you to decide, go to the open days and find out what the prospects are like for each course
I'd say UNSW, because it has a much better rep for its commerce faculty here, and internationally, and also, a finance major here is only 3 years, whereas the macq degree is 4

aditya

HSC
really! no chance?!

damn.. thast rpetty steep...

so wat if ugot a uai of say 97.5 and distinction? then?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by aditya
really! no chance?!

damn.. thast rpetty steep...

so wat if ugot a uai of say 97.5 and distinction? then?
well obviously that'll give u more chance (almost certainly - depending on the other applicants)
I'm just going by what you said before, from B.Ec (assuming your UAI was lower than the commerce cutoff)

aditya

HSC
so to clarify.... 97.5 uai, distinction avg in bcom = almost certainly to b law?

mraverage

nothing is certain but youd have a good chance... but u have heaps of time to trials and hsc so if u work harder...

i-color

i dunno whether a 97UAI and a distinction average would DEFINITELY get you into law...when i went to open day, the woman said it was pretty difficult unless you at least go high D average. Cos there are many people who jut miss out on law and get high D in first year who are going to try to compete into law.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by i-color
Cos there are many people who jut miss out on law and get high D in first year who are going to try to compete into law.
:chainsaw: those stupid uai 99 ppl with their HD averages!!! :chainsaw:

its so fricking hard getting HD average! >.<

aditya

HSC
Originally posted by mraverage
nothing is certain but youd have a good chance... but u have heaps of time to trials and hsc so if u work harder...
HAHAHAHAH!!!!

I think I could've if i tried HEAPS hard at the start of the year.. but its waaaay too late for 99.35....

anyway- i feel if i work hard i can get 97, but i dunt think i will work hard... so im setting my eyes on the b ecnomics =)

thanks for your help...

i think working hard in uni will be easier than at shcool, because simply i love ecnomics/commerce =)

anyway

thanks guys (Y) and girls :D

aditya

HSC
by the way... wats the likelihood of the beco course rising abouve 94 :$ and the bcom course coming down to 95.5? :$

hehe

no seriosuly =|

ohne

HSC
by the way... wats the likelihood of the beco course rising abouve 94 :$ and the bcom course coming down to 95.5? :$

hehe

no seriosuly =|
Unlikely. The number of economics graduates has been falling for many years and the number of business/commerce graduates has been rising. This seems unlikely to change.

addz

HSC
i think working hard in uni will be easier than at shcool, because simply i love ecnomics/commerce =)

at uni its not that easy to get really high marks..unless you put the effort in..
sure first year eco/comm subj's arent that hard but i guess you need to invest the time into making sure you know most of it..but i guess it helps if you have an interest in it to actually enjoy what your learning..

like, i like eco and micro aint too bad and i dont study that much for it...but for some of my friends its different coz they've never touched any comm subjects b4 at high school so its a totally new thing..
same with law...i liked legal studies...but its pretty fukin hard to get good marks in law..well maybe thats just me

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by i-color
i dunno whether a 97UAI and a distinction average would DEFINITELY get you into law...when i went to open day, the woman said it was pretty difficult unless you at least go high D average. Cos there are many people who jut miss out on law and get high D in first year who are going to try to compete into law.
Yes its not definite - but the last couple of years it has been
I mean, the Non recent school leaver rankings for UNSW law have been around 95.8 (in 2003 anyway), which means if you have a UAI of 96 and a Distinction average, you'd be in

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
lol my friend said i should get top marks, and then try to transfer in law, and if i get it, drop it on the last minute so ppl miss out
ahaha so evil

aditya

HSC
yes obviously ur friends a retard and shouldnt ever be mentioned again...

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
my friend got an extremely high uai and is currently in a cadetship program that you want to get in and was only saying that as a joke
also calling someone a retard as a derogotary term is incredibly rude, so i'd watch what you before you mouth off again

Last edited:

aditya

HSC
was a figure of speech... and u should associate ur stories to relevent forums? random...

and i didnt mean it that seriously.. as uve made it out to be... i was also joking

tahnks everyone alot for your help!

Last edited:

Shawny

man
with all the gay fuking exams for commerce being a bitch so far
transfering is gonna be hard

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
can u transfer into commerce from eco ... if u wanna do actuary

as in transfer to first yr commerce agn =.="

i haf no idea wut i wanna do if i cant get into actuary at mac or unsw...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)