B Engineering / B Arts (1 Viewer)

music man

HSC
N/A
Hi,

Is this double degree combination a bad idea? If i did this combo it is because i like engineering and would major in music for the arts component because i have been doing music since i was 5 and absolutely love it. The problem is that they dont really compliment each other.

What do you guys think? I was also thinking of doing engineering/commerce or engineering/law. Like these are more related and theres more chance of getting somewere but i wouldnt enjoy it as much.

So do you think i should go with enjoyment (eng/arts)...or money (eng/com, eng/law)??

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
music man said:
Hi,

Is this double degree combination a bad idea? If i did this combo it is because i like engineering and would major in music for the arts component because i have been doing music since i was 5 and absolutely love it. The problem is that they dont really compliment each other.

What do you guys think? I was also thinking of doing engineering/commerce or engineering/law. Like these are more related and theres more chance of getting somewere but i wouldnt enjoy it as much.

So do you think i should go with enjoyment (eng/arts)...or money (eng/com, eng/law)??
I think you know better than anyone what you want to do.

Eng/arts can do you no wrong. The best degrees/combined degrees in my opinion are the ones that combine enjoyability and employability.

Eng/com is also a great combination to do at university.

Don't even bother with eng/law. It's a stupid combination because you could be getting the same jobs just by doing either, not both at the same time. On top of that, you'd be getting nailed with endless engineering assignments and law exams in a 20+ hour timetable.

Whatever you do, don't do arts (music) on its own. Then you're just truly wasting your time...

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Do what you enjoy, the rest is details.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
music man said:
Hi,

Do what you like and enjoy.

Im Doing a Engineering / Science degree.

Im doing the Science aspect purely for enjoyment purposes,

music man

HSC
N/A
I chose to do engineering/commerce.

If i dont enjoy this combo too much, what would be the guidelines for me if i transferred to an engineering/arts degree if i choose to do this after 1st year? What would my WAM have to be? If i failed a subject would i automatically be not allowed to tranfer?

music man

HSC
N/A
How are you finding it so far? And how does the degree work? DO you have to ask the arts faculty what you are going to major in??

Uncle

Banned
HSC
How are you finding it so far? And how does the degree work? DO you have to ask the arts faculty what you are going to major in??
I requested a transfer from the Engineering Student Centre for a transfer to Engineering/Arts.

You choose the major yourself, look up the UNSW handbook for your desired Arts major then find out which courses you need to be enrolled in, just like for Engineering.
If all is going smoothly, asking the Arts faculty isn't necessary.

I quite like it.
A brief comparison to Arts and Engineering
Both Arts and Engineering tutorials have a set number of questions each week but there are significant differences.

Engineering - You request a few questions for the tutor to solve for you on the board if you have trouble, it is impossible to solve every question for that week.
Arts - It is discussion based making it more interesting and very likely every question will be covered.

I have 5 years to complete the two programs, here is a typical Mech Eng/Arts schedule:
http://www.mech.unsw.edu.au/content/userDocs/BEBA-Mechanical.pdf

You can do them in ANY order as long as you meet prerequsites, since there is only 1 first year Arts course in my Arts major I modify my schedule to 3 engineering courses and 1 arts course this semester.

music man

HSC
N/A
Sounds good. The eng/com degree is 5.5 years so an extra semester less would be a lot better :)

BTW do you or does anyone else know how high my WAM would need to be if i transferred? Or would they not care?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Sounds good. The eng/com degree is 5.5 years so an extra semester less would be a lot better :)

BTW do you or does anyone else know how high my WAM would need to be if i transferred? Or would they not care?
From memory the specific academic requirement needed is to pass at least 30 UOC I also may believe that you must be in Good Standing i.e. haven't failed any courses.
I don't believe a certain WAM cutoff is a specific criteria.
I already surpassed those requirements.
Just state why you want to transfer and what to and just wait a while ... a while as in a few months.

More info:
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/current/transfer/index.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)