B engineering/ B commerce (1 Viewer)

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anybody do this?

whats it like? workload - difficulty - degree quality etc.

preferably does anybody do it with a mechanical engineering major? i think ill probably be going for that.

and regards to the commerce part, how many majors can you take? like i know with a straight B commerce you can take up to two majors, but will taking that many and combined with engineering be insanely hard?

karnage

HSC
Does anybody do this?

whats it like? workload - difficulty - degree quality etc.

preferably does anybody do it with a mechanical engineering major? i think ill probably be going for that.

and regards to the commerce part, how many majors can you take? like i know with a straight B commerce you can take up to two majors, but will taking that many and combined with engineering be insanely hard?
I do this double degree. First year.

Engineering is pretty busy in terms of contact hours (i have roughly 25hrs of classes per week) commerce subjects tend to not have as much.

Im pretty sure you do 1 major for commerce. I haven't done any commerce subjects yet, but i got a mate in the same double degree who is doing one.

Regarding the commerce and engineering workload, im not sure if you know this already but ill say it anyways, you only do a full time workload (24 units, 6 units per subject thus 4 subjects) per semester as you would with a single degree so its not a ridiculous workload. I also think i can safely say that engineering is more difficult than commerce.

TheKey

HSC
Hey mate I'm graduating from electrical engineering/commerce and can tell you that if anything it is alot easier than doing a straight electrical engineering degree.

In commerce you do 1 Major and 1 Minor (no double major)...but then seriously why would you want to anyway. I did a Finance Major (easy to do well) and a Business Law minor (not very easy to do well...but easy to pass)

I enrolled into this double degree after doing straight electrical engineering for 2.5 years.

My advice, do only engineering subjects for a year (at least a year), then start adding commerce subjects slowly (DON'T only enroll into commerce subjects for any one semester, make sure you do some engineering subjects also..don't break the continuity of engineering subjects).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
is ther anyone out ther whos willing to abolish my stance that engineering > commerce? :D

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
is ther anyone out ther whos willing to abolish my stance that engineering > commerce? :D
I won't but I consider those individuals who do com/eng to have the best of both worlds.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I won't but I consider those individuals who do com/eng to have the best of both worlds.
ahaha all my mates that do it are like - 'comm is such a breather from engineering'

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
fairly sure commerce has greater career prospects than compared to engineering. This is reflected in the uai difference. Uai is a reflection of the demand for a course which is a reflection of percieved career outcomes, salary, etc etc

therefore engineering < commerce
lol, you TOTALLY have me convinced, YEAH MONEY > ALL, IF U HAVE MONEY WHO GIVES A SHIT, YEA MONEY MONEY MONEY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Uncle

Banned
HSC
hey guys i did a fluid statics problem on determining if you can open your car door when the car is submerged 8 metres underwater.
i dont think the commerce guys can calculate that.

robm

HSC
what career opportunities are there when u finish this course and roughly what salary could u expect to be getting?

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
fairly sure commerce has greater career prospects than compared to engineering. This is reflected in the uai difference. Uai is a reflection of the demand for a course which is a reflection of percieved career outcomes, salary, etc etc

commerce only has a higher UAI requirement because less people are accepted into the degree. commerce just has the bachelor of commerce, whilst engineering has a number of different fields ie mechanical, civil, software etc.

engineering just has more places to fill the demand. therefore lower uai

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
commerce only has a higher UAI requirement because less people are accepted into the degree. commerce just has the bachelor of commerce, whilst engineering has a number of different fields ie mechanical, civil, software etc.

engineering just has more places to fill the demand. therefore lower uai
lol, please stop talking.

slats91

HSC

Hi there,

You are completely wrong with your suggestion above.

I am just graduating from Engineering/Commerce at USyd. The UAI is a reflection of course demand like you say. However a UAI has no correlation with perceived career outcomes. For instance, civil/elec/mech/chem engineering may have a UAI of 85 and Commerce may be 95. Despite the higher UAI for commerce, I would say it is a far less demanding course compared to engineering. Commerce is still not a walk in the park, but engineering will really challenge you.

In terms of salary and career potential, engineering in the next decade has just as much potential (if not more) than straight commerce. For instance, you can complete a B Eng and later complete an MBA and possess both a technical understanding of a firm as well as a business/managerial understanding....a complete understanding of an operation. Completing just the single B Commerce will not allow you to undertake an advanced level engineering/technical program later in your career....a technical understanding will never be had.

Considering half of the top 20 ASX companies and 6 of the top 10 Fortune 500 companies are engineering related...mining/oil/gas, engineering really is better for career opportunities in the corporate sector. The statistics above will really only become higher as companies consolidated over the next few years.

Like I said, I will be graduating this year and have secured a role with an oilfield service company. The benefits are great and base salary is well, 6 figures without going into too much detail. I have mates who got jobs in IB at Credit Suisse and UBS...they will go into salaries of 70-80k.

Your suggestion really is incorrect. No one degree is better than the other in terms of career potential. It is really what you do with it in order to achieve your career goals.

ajay098

HSC
hey, im interested in doing a double as well but i dont do any commerce or business HSC subjects. can i still do well? i do 4 unit math if that helps in anyway.

LordPc

HSC
hey, im interested in doing a double as well but i dont do any commerce or business HSC subjects. can i still do well? i do 4 unit math if that helps in anyway.
yes of course. commerce has no pre reqs AFAIK
have you done physics? cause you would probably want to do a physics bridging course if you are going to do engineering without hsc physics under your belt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)