B Engineering B Commerce (1 Viewer)

im interested in doing a double degree cause im interested in both these areas, but is there any point in doing doing both or should i just choose one area.
Can i get any careers with very high incomes from this

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
its is highly likely that before you've done a decade of enginnering u will end up in management of some sort or another,
it is therefore advisable to do a commerce degree as well as this will help you in gaining one of these positions.

also plenty of engineers end up in banks etc...a commerce/engo degree can end u up on a million bucks a year working for a a huge bank

HSC
codereder said:
thats awsome but, why would an engineer end up working for a bank
to be an engineer you have to be highly competant at maths, analytical, and good with computers (generally speaking)

to be in the finance/invstment banking scene you must be highly competant at maths, analytical, and it helps to be good with computers

see the connection??

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I know for a fact that many of the larger corporations hire straight engineers and most of them pick up the financial stuff very quickly.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
At UNSW you get to do general education so without doing a whole extra degree, you can get a little finance/business/marketting insight...

Engineers idealy graduate with not only knowledge, but also idealy very good problem solving skills. Best thing about engineering is that it is a job and you can walk pretty much straight into a job after uni unlike many other degrees...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Courtenay said:
At UNSW you get to do general education so without doing a whole extra degree, you can get a little finance/business/marketting insight...

Engineers idealy graduate with not only knowledge, but also idealy very good problem solving skills. Best thing about engineering is that it is a job and you can walk pretty much straight into a job after uni unlike many other degrees...
You can do free elective units at usyd, just they don't have to be from another faculty.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Oh and the director of Toyota told my dad that with my degree and a couple of marketing/business subjects i would never ever be without a job

theone123

blue essence
HSC
most engineers are 4 - 5 years so u prolly expect it would be of high quality

Courtenay said:
Oh and the director of Toyota told my dad that with my degree and a couple of marketing/business subjects i would never ever be without a job
wat degree?

envy87

HSC
gordo said:
it is therefore advisable to do a commerce degree as well as this will help you in gaining one of these positions.
you don't really need the commerce part, i mean if you ace engineering, and end up in management, [this'd take at least a decade, by which time you would have most likely forgotten the commerce you'd have done earlier]. a lot of the engineers in managment don't have commerce degrees, but some have MBA's and things [which is the sort of thing that would come in handy if you wanted to run a private consulting firm etc]

but if you change you mind about the engineering, you know that financial firms will still take you, because as an engineer you would have really good analytical skills - which is what they want, they can easily train ppl with the theory, its harder teach the skills.

HSC
Just do the double degree if you can....its only one extra year and if one year seems like so much then your gonna struggle for the first four anyway. One year in the span of a career is nothing so why not maximise your career prospects?

fush

HSC
the commerce part of the degree is actually pretty cool, the subjects are usually very interesting and useful in general

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It's a pity that the problem solving skills acquired from a Maths degree aren't as recognised as those from Engineering (even though many math subjects have financial applications).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
§eraphim said:
It's a pity that the problem solving skills acquired from a Maths degree aren't as recognised as those from Engineering (even though many math subjects have financial applications).
Heh, that's why you do both :D

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
BCom/BE/BSc....haha I might as well live in a computer lab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)