b engineering/b science double degree. do i need ext maths (1 Viewer)

lydiaodehh

HSC
hi guys i was thinking about doing engineering at unsw. in terms of science and maths my hsc subjects are only 2u and chem. i dont mind doing a bridging course in physics and ext 1 but should i just give up on engineering since im hearing 4u is essential to doing good in engineering. if it helps i wanted to major in environmental engineering and do science electives in the area of geology/earth science.

quickoats

HSC
Since you've done 2U maths you can be admitted to engo (covers prereq) without any issues.

Being honest, having done just 2u, you might find yourself struggling a little bit in first year maths and feel behind compared to peers but that is okay. However, enviro engineering is a branch of civil which is less heavy on the mathematics in further year (just computations and calculations unlike say electrical who do a lot more maths).

You can go for it if that's what you want to do, but just be aware that there will be a bit of a learning curve with the first year maths subjects in particular (although everyone goes through that anyway). I would not shy away from doing your 'dream' just because you didn't do 3u maths.

dasfas

HSC
You will probably struggle initially, but if you work hard, you can easily improve.

Have a google of australian jobs in environmental engineering - you might want to consider majoring in mechanical/electrical/civil and specializing in environmental later on. The market is rather small here in australia, and those in mech/elec/civil can apply for environmental engineering jobs AND to their own respective displicines, but it doesn't work the other way around. So choosing mech/elec/civil means you can still apply for your dream job, but you also have ample options in case it doesn't work out

cossine

HSC
hi guys i was thinking about doing engineering at unsw. in terms of science and maths my hsc subjects are only 2u and chem. i dont mind doing a bridging course in physics and ext 1 but should i just give up on engineering since im hearing 4u is essential to doing good in engineering. if it helps i wanted to major in environmental engineering and do science electives in the area of geology/earth science.
No prior knowledge of 4 unit is needed.

Just go through the recommended/required textbook for the math subjects and the tutorials and it not too hard to get HD.

If I am not mistaken the recommended text is stewart calculus(for first semester math) for the engineering core. So during the holiday you can go through that and go through topics outline in the subject outline. The solutions for textbook are on slader.com if you need.

Time&moretime

HSC
When I was considering Engineering, I watched a video very similar to this.
I believe the 1st years use the Salas textbook among others. Hope it works out for you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)