B International and Global Studies (1 Viewer)

Nondescript

HSC
Hey all,
I'm looking at taking on the Bachelor of International and Global Studies next year at USyd and would just like to know the structure of the program (the website doesn't go into too much depth) and specifically about the opportunity to study abroad, are there scholarships available to do so and would it extend the length of time taken to complete the degree?

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
okiesssss
this is half of my degree and the part that im mainly doing atm so here you go:

Firstly you should know, the BIGS degree is just a glorified BA with 4 compulsory units and a more limited pool of majors to choose from.. but you get to graduate with BIGS at the end of your name lol

Stucture:
1st year Sem 1 -- INGS1001 Power and Money in Global society (run by Government and Political economy departments jointly, this is quite good, lecturer Dick Bryan is really cool =] is basically an overview of globalisation (you'll come to hate that concept by the end of your BIGS degree, in fact after 2 years now im pretty =S by it already haha)... and covers lots of ground
1st year Sem 2 -- INGS1002 Global Culture and Society (run by anthropology, sociology departments) i found this a bit boring and didnt go to most lectures... still got a distinction tho lol but yehh if you like anthropology/sociology stuff you might enjoy it =]
2nd year Sem 1 -- INGS2601 Transnational Spaces and Networks is really bad hahaha jointly run by media and language depts... about global media and how they frame issues etc etc.....
3rd year Sem 1 the Current Global Issues i dont know what its like yet cos im doing it next sem =P

ok so you have to do a major out of that list (you wouldve seen it on the website i assume), most ppl do either government or political economy (im doing GOVT major)
and usuallly they require 6 senior units and 2 junior units (1st year) in that particular discipline... you'll understand more when u enrol and stuff... i'll be one of the student volunteers there for arts enrolment during enrolment week giving advice and helping out so u might even see me lol =P

Download this arts faculty handbook for more info... it covers all the arts units and degrees.... http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/6630/3/arts2011.pdf

You do have opportunities to study abroad as part of your degree.. but as opposed to other unis like UTS or UNSW International Studies programmes, its not a compulsory part of your degree and so there's no guaranteed subsidy or anything.. but yeh u can apply for exchange scholarships (i think they're quite competitive tho)... i dont know too much about those sorry.

studying abroad for one semester should not affect your degree, but you should check with the relevant department whether they accept particular units from a partner institution uni to count towards your major. even if not, you should still be able to complete your degree in the normal time cos you do have electives free (less so if you choose to do a double major or are in a combined degree like i am) but generally you should be fine =] i have friends doing BIGS who are on exchange this very moment in their second year second sem... oh and the compulsory units for INGS have to be completed here so if you choose to go exchange in a semester when those are offered, then you'd have to compensate for it later.. thats why its probs good to do it in second year second sem where there's no INGS units.

Hope this helps!
you can contact me for more info if you want =]

bananabri26

HSC
Thankyou for posting this. I too am planning to do this course! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)