• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Medical Science vs B Science (2 Viewers)

Mitchillio

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there, I'm currently in year 12 and want to eventually get into Dentistry. I've been looking into it, and as long as I've got a degree I can sit the GAMSAT test and apply for graduate entry (at usyd at least, anyway). The thing is, I've had a good talk with my principal and it looks like I could be getting nominated for the Academic Achievement Award at UNSW. For those that don't know, if I get nominated (each school in NSW can nominate ONE student per year) and get an offer from UNSW which I'm within 5 marks of the cut-off in and accept, I'm automatically guaranteed a $4000 payment. Now, I'd like to do Medical Science as my undergraduate degree before going for Dentistry, but at UNSW the ATAR cut-off is 92.8 which is very high. I'm not going to say I CAN'T get it, but I'm also not going to say I will. If I DON'T get it, there are 2 options I've come up with. 1) I have B Science at UNSW as my back-up which only has a cut-off of 78. 2) I have B Medical Science at other unis as a back-up. At UWS it's a measley 72.6 and I'll be living closer to there anyway.

If I set B Science at UNSW as my back-up I ensure that I'll get the $4000, BUT I wonder if it's worth it if the course isn't as good preparation for dentistry as medical science would be. I could still do medical science at a different uni, but the payment would be gone and I could probably really use that. I'm going to be living with my girlfriend during uni, and until she gets her Australian Citizenship (just before her second year of uni) we have to pay her fees up-front. She's going to be doing medical science as well, hoping to eventually get into medicine.

So what do you guys think? Settle with B Science and take my $4000 or ditch the money to take B Medical Science at a different uni? B Science DOES have pretty much all the major studies available for B Medical Science... Would it do?

EDIT: The cut-offs I posted are from the 2010 UAC guide. If that was worth mentioning...

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So what do you guys think? Settle with B Science and take my $4000 or ditch the money to take B Medical Science at a different uni?
Definitely put B Science at UNSW ahead of UWS Medical Science.

B Science DOES have pretty much all the major studies available for B Medical Science... Would it do?
The simple answer is yes - you can do all the majors offered by B Medical Science in a normal B Science. Both degrees are excellent egrees to prepare you for Dentistry. If you really want you can transfer from B Science to B Medical Science after a year in B Science provided you have obained good enough marks.

Good luck.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
UWS isn't good apart from their medicine course why would you do anything there unless it's medicine like seriously. Companies are biased towards more prestigious universities in most cases.

Mitchillio

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely put B Science at UNSW ahead of UWS Medical Science.

The simple answer is yes - you can do all the majors offered by B Medical Science in a normal B Science. Both degrees are excellent egrees to prepare you for Dentistry. If you really want you can transfer from B Science to B Medical Science after a year in B Science provided you have obained good enough marks.

Good luck.
Thanks. I've pretty much made up my mind then, I'll set B Medical Science and B Science both at UNSW as my top preferences (unless there's a better course at UNSW I come across).

HSC
UWS isn't good apart from their medicine course why would you do anything there unless it's medicine like seriously. Companies are biased towards more prestigious universities in most cases.
no they're not.
they look for how skilled you are. If you are more skilled than the other applicants, then they'll hire you instead. Prestige only takes you so far.

anyway, i'm pretty sure you can get 93 especially since your getting AAA which usually means your going to be the dux of your school.
If your rural you'll also get extra bonus points and/or im not sure, but maybe you can get some bonus points for high subject bands (band 5-6) for it as well.

Last edited:

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
no they're not.
they look for how skilled you are. If you are more skilled than the other applicants, then they'll hire you instead. Prestige only takes you so far.

anyway, i'm pretty sure you can get 93 especially since your getting AAA which usually means your going to be the dux of your school.
If your rural you'll also get extra bonus points and/or im not sure, but maybe you can get some bonus points for high subject bands (band 5-6) for it as well.
If you are applying for the MBBS program then you actually cannot receive any bonus points. For medicine you need an ATAR of 95.40 for non-Greater Western Sydney [GWS] applicants or 93.55 for GWS applicants, for your application to progress on to the next stages.

Applicants to the B Medical Science though can receive the GWS regional bonus and you may be eligible for Subject Bonus Points if you achieve band 5 or 6 results in HSC or IB subjects relevant to the course, more info can be found here: http://myfuture.uws.edu.au/tripleadvantage

HSC
i think i know that moldy :)
he wants medscience, not med.

moe...i dont think he really wishes to go to Griffith :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)