• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

B natural history illustration?? (1 Viewer)

0ochello0

HSC
Today i'm having a problem :mad1: I've been through the UAC book dozens of times and the only course I really want to do is Natural History Illustration at Newcastle, now i'm having a war with my family who want me to do something normal...or dull rather. Something that will get me a job at the end.
So what I want to know is do any of you do the course? or know anyone who does? Is it worth it? Talk me out of it!...or into it preferably...

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Ok, I dont do the course myself, or anything remotely close actually, but I was looking on the university website and found a little bit of info on it.

The Bachelor of Natural History Illustration is an exciting new program which commenced in 2003 in response to the increasing interest in the study of the natural environment and with it the demand for its visual representation. The program is a bridge between art and science and will appeal to students who wish to visually represent the unique Australian environment.

Natural History Illustrators are usually employed in the publishing, display, education or exhibition fields. Illustrators may be employed or work freelance in scientific institutions, the publishing industry, educational institutions, libraries, galleries, museums, at archaeological or fossil sites, botanic gardens or for anthropologists, scientists and taxonomists.

The Bachelor of Natural History Illustration program is offered by the Faculty of Science and Information Technology and is completed over three years of full-time study (or equivalent part-time).

Natural History Illustration is a communication vehicle which lends itself to both conceptual and commercial applications by visually interpreting the natural world. The Bachelor of Natural History Illustration program is the only program of its kind in Australia and is designed to be a bridge between art and science. This art form is used to clarify information and by the application of research methodology it can be applied to areas such as landscape design, anthropology, taxonomy, palaeontology, botany, horticulture, anatomy, fabric design, ecology, environmental philosophy and education.

Lectures and tutorials are aimed at familiarising students with aspects of field observation, data collection and traditional as well as multi-media studio techniques and their application to professional practice. Interdisciplinary links are an important component of the program and students are encouraged to select associated elective courses from the design, fine art and science disciplines. The undergraduate experience will promote the development of individual learning outcomes relevant to the specific interests and vocational needs of students.

...Apart from all of that, I have a few arts/science friends that might know a bit about the course, so I will ask them how they rate the course. It is a fairly new course though, only in its 3rd year so far, and so the first people to take the course would be finishing it this year. Just let me work my magic.

Last edited:

0ochello0

HSC
Hey, that would be great!
I tried ringing the uni, but they couldn't tell me anything helpful.
It's the only course i've seen that combines art and science, which I guess would be interesting but maybe not many jobs at the end according to my family, they are probably right but nevermind, I've planned my whole future - go to Newcastle uni, draw three years worth of trees, graduate, never be able to get a job, live in the gutter behind McDonalds...Peachy.

0ochello0

HSC
The_highwayman said:
work at the show drawing pics of toddlers for $10 a piece.
Haha, whoever would have guessed you needed to go to uni to become a carny!
well, running away and joining the circus has always been a lifelong dream of mine... :rolleyes:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
I am not even going to comment (other than this). A shiny penny to the person who can guess what my favourites in this thread are :)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
mrbassman said:
I am not even going to comment (other than this). A shiny penny to the person who can guess what my favourites in this thread are :)
Toddlers?

CoffeeBen

HSC
Hey, I was looking at this course as well and like you said I cant find anything helpful about it either. The website tells you what its about but not so much what its like if that makes sense. Can anyone tell us anything? I'm not sure if i'll do it but it is on my preference list so i'd like to know more.

eple

HSC
i just saw this post -
im 3rd year Vis comm student and its funny you mention this course because we had to build a website for the course and we got to know abit about it.

its not an overly big class

its the only one of its type in australia

i suggest you trying to call the Design building - Faculty of Science and IT and speaking to someone called Anne. I cant remember her last name but she runs the course with a guy called Herbert.
Also i think theres an exibition going on at the moment which you should try and take a look at. Some incredible work coming out of there!!!!!

Hope thats helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)