• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B of Business (Human Resource Management & Industrial Relations) (1 Viewer)

Bubble&Squeak

HSC
Hi all :)

I am wanting to do the B of Business in HRM & IR. I would like to apply to commence in semester 2 of this year..

I would be doing it part time evening at Campbelltown as i work full time.

I'm 19 and currently earning $41k and so would have to start paying HECS straightaway, so i have decided to pay upfront and get the discount. What i want to know is how many textbooks there are and how much $ they are so i can factor this into my costs. Does anyone have a lists of texts?

If anyone is doing this course, i would love to know what you think of it! Any information appreciated. :)

L

LaraB

Bubble&Squeak said:
Hi all :)

I am wanting to do the B of Business in HRM & IR. I would like to apply to commence in semester 2 of this year..

I would be doing it part time evening at Campbelltown as i work full time.

I'm 19 and currently earning $41k and so would have to start paying HECS straightaway, so i have decided to pay upfront and get the discount. What i want to know is how many textbooks there are and how much $ they are so i can factor this into my costs. Does anyone have a lists of texts?

If anyone is doing this course, i would love to know what you think of it! Any information appreciated. :)
there's not that many well... . i dunno.. not that manhy copmared to law.. dunno how it copmares to other courses..

i do hrm/ir and law... so i can tell you what you've have for 1st year..

most units have one of a few options for text books etc:
  • A custom textbook - ie lots of bits from several combined to make one book published by the uni
  • 2 textbooks
  • a textbook and a reader
  • 2 textbooks and a reader
  • a textbook and an interenet resource/software/ whatever type thing lol:p

most the textbooks are about $50-$80... custom textbooks are usually around the same range...

readers are usualy between $15 and $40.. although a $40 reader seems rare...

So, per semester, you'd probably be looking at around $300-ish when you take into account the 10% co-op bookshop discount:)

don't forget though - that's new - you can get second hand books that are virtually new for a massively discounted price:)

L

LaraB

Bubble&Squeak said:
Thanks, Lara :)

Do you enjoy the course? Any good/bad bits you could share?
its a really good course:)

kinda like taking bits from different areas and making it one course in a way

you do stuff on sociology, psychology, obviously employment relations, you do a unit on the australian economy so economics stuff:p, you do the same foundation units as the management course... its really broad

the only thing that's bad is group work but that's not like..unique to the course so its not abnle to be avoided in most cases:p..

enterprise industrial relations was a shit unit - but only because the workplace reforms were happenin throughout the semester and the changes were 'announced' a week before th exam:p but for you guys starting it in 2006+ - it'll be really interesting coz you do less on the history and more on how it'll change society.

lecturers are mostly aweomse - there's a couple in particular who are heaps cool, really smatr people, really approachable, really easy to understand and learn from.

assessments are better than law ones.. dunno again, how it compares to other courses but they're good coz you get usually... 2 assessmnets and then the exam at the end, so if you stuff up one its not as big a deal. plus it covers a range of things like presentations and reports and essays and bibliographys etc - so if you're better at some and not so at others it kinda evens it out.

only bad thing is, in a way, coz it's a double major - you do seem to have more different content to learn copmared to other business courses as far as you knda have 2 sets of basic concepts etc and often conflicting ones:) but long as you do the work it's not too hard:)

a couple of units had heeeaps of reading, but after we all copmlained lol and were getting stressed out by it :p - they've altered the structure so there's now one custom textbook instead of 2 and a reader in some cases and the class structures have been slightly changed etc so it'll probably be better now:)

plus, you get a lot of lecturers who put like, whole class notes on the net so if you can't go to class its not too disastrous:)

leaves open heaps of career options too coz its so broad and you can submajor in a heap of things like, management or marketing or international bus etc depending on what electives you pick:)

L

LaraB

oh and ps - if you want like, text lists - best way to get an idea is to go to the uws site, look at the handbook - note down the units then go to the co-op bookshop and search thru the uws campuses text lists (the sam eunits run at different campuses at different times so you'll probably find all of them just not necessarily on teh same campus) and that way you'll see the text names and prices.

keep in mind too -you only "need" to buy required ones - you don't 'need' to buy all the recommended ones:)

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Wow! Maybe i'm silly but 41K at age 19 sounds pretty damn good. What do you do Bubble-squeaky?

L

LaraB

Airness said:
Wow! Maybe i'm silly but 41K at age 19 sounds pretty damn good. What do you do Bubble-squeaky?
i wish i worked full time for a year lol - coz my total remuneration package atm is $58k.. pity i only work a few months a year lol...

you ppl who take a year off to work are smart:p

Bubble&Squeak

HSC
I want your job Lara! :haha: Mine is only just under 45,000 with super. Do you work in government cos only they pay so well!

I am an Admin Assistant in Local Gov to answer someone's question and this is my 3rd year out of school.

I certainly don't want to be in administration forever, hence wanting to do a degree. I have already done Cert IV in OH&S and Cert IV in Workplace Assessment & Training (both HR related) and i love all things HR!

Lara, your information was very helpful. I wish you luck with your course and i may PM you later with still more questions :headbang:

Thanks again.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

Bubble&Squeak said:
I want your job Lara! :haha: Mine is only just under 45,000 with super. Do you work in government cos only they pay so well!

I am an Admin Assistant in Local Gov to answer someone's question and this is my 3rd year out of school.

I certainly don't want to be in administration forever, hence wanting to do a degree. I have already done Cert IV in OH&S and Cert IV in Workplace Assessment & Training (both HR related) and i love all things HR!

Lara, your information was very helpful. I wish you luck with your course and i may PM you later with still more questions :headbang:

Thanks again.
hey - yeah i do:) i work at Legal Aid Comm NSW... i love how every doesn't wanna work there as a solicitor coz they assume the pay's shit but it appears better than the average... can't remember what exactly my job 'name' and all that is.. but my total salary is like..pretty big coz a shitload goes to super grr and tax and coz i'm not here long enough to accumulate rec leave and i don't get paid sick leave either for the same reason, i get paid in lieu of it:) so makes my salary look bigger:)... if you cut out all the tax and super and all that extra payment in lieu of leave and stuff, i think its about $45k a year

lol thats ok if you ask more questions:) just a warning lol - if you are planning on going to parramatta and ask the ER dept questions - the head of program or whatever she''s called just confuses you more or plain refuses to answer you:p so you're better off asking the head of the HRM/IR course for info:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)