B Planning (1 Viewer)

CMJ

HSC
I'm in second year doing this course, and one of the good aspects to the course is the range of subjects you do such as urban design, geography, sociology, economics etc.

Yeah, i guess planning is not as popular or as well recognised as say architecture. Eg, people ask course what you do, and you say planning (or say it is town planning) and most people don't really know what's its about. But anyway, it is a good course with not huge numbers and this does have its advantages.

Eman Resu

HSC
N/A
After the open days and such i still dont kno wat a planner would actually do, i guess its bcuz its a course that jus covers a broad subject...can ne1 fill me in on wat a planner would do? maybe i shouldhave asked some questions instead of scabbing all those free pens....so many pens...

Last edited:
HSC
hey im will, right now im 2nd year B Business/B Computing student at UTS, but i dont think i want to do it as a profession. I'm pretty interested in this degree; i had a friend who was enrolled in it a few years ago, he didnt have a great experience but yeh i saw what the subjects and stuff consisted of. From what i saw, the content of the course looks/sounds pretty interesting. I'm gonna apply for planning, as well as building construction management - my brother does this and yeh he recommends it (but its probably a bias recommendation).

I applied thru UAC, dunno if i'll get in; 87uai in 2003 with credit avg (albeit 1 fail :S). if i get in, id probably be an oldie there >.<.
newayz, just introducing myself...hopefully i'll be in planning in 2006! :)
newayz,

CMJ

HSC
hi there, i'm in 2nd year planning, and the course has been alright so far, i am enjoying it even though some subjects can be quite boring!

Re, what planners actually do, when you get into the profession you can work in various fields such as development assessment for councils and developers, prepare local environmental plans and development control plans, strategic planning for like regions and land use, urban design, environmental planning, project managing etc.

This website gives a lot of detail on what the course covers.
http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/degrees/bplan/

HSC
ohh
cmj, u might know of my friend? coz he was enrolled in 2004 as well..

slitz? chris swain?

mm yeh i think all degree's have their fair share of boring and not-so-boring subjects, so its no biggy.

Michiru

HSC
just wondering, if there's only a max of 60 people enrolled each year, do you guys move in packs? Like, all go sit in the same lecture, have similar timetales or even similar tut times? And do you find people from other degrees in the planning lectures?

oh man!! I can't wait till next year!! >.< btw, my name Lily. I hope to see you guys on campus next year. =D

(CMJ, your posts are very helpful. You should be a B.Planning diplomat v^^v)

Last edited:

CMJ

HSC
Hey Lily,

Welcome to the B Plan degree!!

Yeah, pretty much after the first semester, everyone has their groups..like high school :). The way the degree is structured means that most of the time, we all have the same lectures and tutes, which is great for making close friends and working in groups for assignments and share the experiences of uni. You don't usually find many people from other degrees doing planning subjects but there are a couple of exceptions.

Anyway, i'll probably see you around later next year..i just started the 48 weeks of work experience.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me or PM :)

Michiru

HSC
Hey guess what everyone? I'm going to do planning this year! Yaaay!
I'm so excited. I can't wait till uni begins.

Just wondering, does anyone have any first year books that they want to sell to me? I'm kinda short of money right now..so don't really want to pay full price

miyoko

HSC
hey, having looked at my timetable, it says Lecture, Lab and Studio, was wondeing if Studio was the same thing as Tutorials or its equivalent?

CMJ

HSC
Studios are a little bit different from tutes, usually it involves all the class or split into 2 groups, and it happens with the urban design classes where the studio time is spent working on drawings, tracings etc but it can be interactive as well with the lecturer and/or tutor helping out.

Michiru

HSC
Hey, just wondering, for Plan1241 there's sequence 1 and 2. What does this mean?

CMJ

HSC
Hmm not sure what that could mean...it could be the splitting up of the subject (planning theory and practice) into two segments (new lecturer for this subject this year)...you should be able to find out once the lecturer introduces the course in the first week what that would mean.

patty4848

HSC
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, I'm just hoping someone still looks at it who might be able to help me.

I'm interested in the Bachelor of Planning at UNSW and am just wondering a few things about it...
1. What careers are available to planning graduates?
2. What does a planner do?
3. What are the job prospects (opportunities, salary etc) for planning graduates?

I've had a look around on the UNSW website and on the net, except I can't find the answers

Any help would be great.

Cooper86

HSC
Hi guys just a quick Question for the B planners out there:

Are any of the 1st year subject pass / fail like in Architecture or do you get a graded mark?

I was thinking about taking a few 1st year subjects as I have some open electives in sem 1 for 08

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)