B Psych at UNSW (1 Viewer)

sx4daboiz

HSC
N/A
How much maths is in this? Do you have to do maths subjects?
If I suck at maths is this the wrong degree for me?

Lain

HSC
You won't need to be a mathematician to do psychology but it helps if you're at least somewhat scientifically oriented. With the Bachelor of Psychology at UNSW, you don't have to do any explicit mathematics course (i.e. no courses from the School of Mathematics), but as Iruka said, there will be statistics taught in psychology courses. Maybe the stats won't turn out like the mathematics you dread? It's quite different from the 'pure' mathematics.

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
What you learn in your 10 Advanced maths would have been fine.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
^^ Or not even. I dropped maths in Year 10, and before then I did general. Apparently statistics isnt 'technically' contained in any NSW school syllabus. So dont freak out.

As Iruka said it isnt 'proper' maths, either. Statistics is really very doable, especially in Psychology because they put a social science spin on it all. You'll learn things like Z and T tests, Chi Square, simple and multiple regression, single and two-way ANOVA aaand.... I think thats pretty much it. There is a limit to the statistical skills required by a Psychologist because we only conduct specific experiments.

You'll be fine! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)