B Psycology Science / B Science (Conservation and Biodiversity)/ B Chropractic Scien (1 Viewer)

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone.
i'm in year 12 now. I have a estimate UAI of 71-76. I'm doing Bio, chem and maths 2uni, eng advance.
I thinking of doing

B Psychology (Science )

B Science (Conservation and Biodiversity )

B Chropractic Science

next year in MQ.

For my own interest , I tend to like Biodiversity and Conservation better.

But I had a huge fight with my parents about job opportunites in these areas.

They tend to think that there would be more job opportunites in Psychology out of these three areas. Is it true?

To be honest, I don't have a lot of interest in Psycology as it is not a subject in high school and I don't really understand what it really is. Will it be a risk to do it?

For Chropratic Science , I heard that it needs physics , but I 'm not doing physics for my hsc. would it be hard to do a bridging course as physic is not my strength?

I 'm really worried. Please give me advice for my uni selection. Lots of help and advice needed.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
It would be hard to work out your UAI yet, so don't get wrapped around with estimating your UAI at this stage.

Main advice is do what you think you will enjoy. Psychology is a risk for everyone, because as you said, we don't do it in high school so it is only after trying it that we know whether we like it or not (and i didn't like it until second year...). Having said that you can try doing a psych-arts/psych-science degree, which is easy to turn into an arts/science with another major if psych isn't for you.

From the post, it seems as if you enjoy science - so you could do a Bachelor of Science- psychology, which will allow you to pick electives in psychology and probably most units related to conservation and biodiversity, then choose later if you want to do bio/div or psychology.

Or you could pick a B Chiro science, which will allow you to pick chiro units and most likely most units related to conservation and biodiversity, then pick later if you want to do bio/div or chiro.

I can't think of a degree that lets you do psych and chiro units together, so you will have to eliminate one of them early.

In terms of job opportunities, any degree will get you jobs if your good at them (thus, picking an area you like is essential), but no degree guarentees a job and it is very hard to estimate how easy it is to get a job from a degree. Psychologists jobs are out there, but it takes ages to become qualified, so you really need to enjoy it (which, i admit takes a while). I wouldn't say the job opportunties are greater for psych or bio/div - they are both general fields.

Don't know if this helps, but just do what you currently enjoy.

HKHSCstudent said:
Hi everyone.
i'm in year 12 now. I have a estimate UAI of 71-76. I'm doing Bio, chem and maths 2uni, eng advance.
I thinking of doing

B Psycology (Science )

B Science (Conservation and Biodiversity )

B Chropractic Science

next year in MQ.

For my own interest , I tend to like Biodiversity and Conservation better.

But I had a huge fight with my parents about job opportunites in these areas.

They tend to think that there would be more job opportunites in Psycology out of these three areas. Is it true?

To be honest, I don't have a lot of interest in Psycology as it is not a subject in high school and I don't really understand what it really is. Will it be a risk to do it?

For Chropratic Science , I heard that it needs physics , but I 'm not doing physics for my hsc. would it be hard to do a bridging course as physic is not my strength?

I 'm really worried. Please give me advice for my uni selection. Lots of help and advice needed.
Thanks.

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
回覆: Re: B Psycology Science / B Science (Conservation and Biodiversity)/ B Chropractic Scien

Thanks for your advice . I 'm still thinking about my choices . From the APS website, it said that only 4 years honours program graduates will become professional recognised psychologist , it that true?

http://www.apac.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=1048

There's a list of courses that are called

"4th Year Courses
APAC accredited fourth-year courses in psychology comprising one-year equivalent of study"

Do you know what that means?

I want to ask out of all B Psychology (honours ) courses in

Newcastle
Western Sydney
Southern Cross
New England

Which one is better?

According to the APS Australian psychology Accerditted Courses Website , the Psychology honours program in new england is in "external mode " , what does that mean?

Thanks for your help and advice

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: B Psycology Science / B Science (Conservation and Biodiversity)/ B Chropractic Scien

You need to do 4 years undergrad and a 2 year postgrad course/2 year placement to become a psychologist. The 4 years are theoretical, the last 2 years are practical. You definitely aren't a registered psychologist after just 4 years. You can become registered as an 'intern psychologist,' but you need a supervisor and two years experience.

I'm not sure which ones a better, but the main thing is that it is recognisded by APAC. External mode probably means that you have the lectures outside campus.

HKHSCstudent said:
Thanks for your advice . I 'm still thinking about my choices . From the APS website, it said that only 4 years honours program graduates will become professional recognised psychologist , it that true?

http://www.apac.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=1048

There's a list of courses that are called

"4th Year Courses
APAC accredited fourth-year courses in psychology comprising one-year equivalent of study"

Do you know what that means?

I want to ask out of all B Psychology (honours ) courses in

Newcastle
Western Sydney
Southern Cross
New England

Which one is better?

According to the APS Australian psychology Accerditted Courses Website , the Psychology honours program in new england is in "external mode " , what does that mean?

Thanks for your help and advice

Begbie4017

HSC
Q: What do I need to study to register as a psychologist?
A
: In order to register as a psychologist you will need to complete four years of APAC-accredited undergraduate study, followed by either an APAC-accredited postgraduate* program, or two years of supervised practice as a psychologist that has been endorsed by the relevant Psychologists' Registration Board. Undergraduate study can comprise either an integrated four year qualification, or a three year qualification with an additional fourth year. Endorsement of suitable supervised practice is the concern of the relevant Registration Board in each state and territory, and APAC is unable to offer any advice on this pathway.
*Please note that a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology is a fourth year in psychology.
http://www.apac.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=1193#Study

unfortunately it is 6 years.
The good thing about Mq is that it is really easy to transfer between degrees.
and and to drop to part time if something comes up (other unis make you reapply through uac)
I study speech & hearing science which is half psychology & half linguistics
Its hard to tell what you will like until you try it

Begbie4017

HSC
Also in terms of which psych degree is best.
Sydney is probably the most prestigious but that doesnt mean the best I suppose
Mq has first year statistics as a year long subject so it is a bit easier to handle if youre not a maths person.
I dont know if other unis do that.

cant think of anything else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)