B. Sc (Advanced maths) USYD vs B. Com (Actuarial studies) UNSW/MQ (1 Viewer)

hodarrenkm

HSC
what are the differences between the two degrees??
what jobs can u get when u graduate?

Affinity

HSC
Maths is interesting,
actuarial is boring

haque

HSC
lol true. Btw affinity at what rate would one need to work to maintain a minimum of 80(AAM)?(not for actuarial but science advancesd)

Affinity

HSC
depends on how "smart" the person is.. whatever that means.

I am sure a person like you can get 80+ as long as one follows the course and stays up to date. 90+ will need some work but is very possible. I wouldn't speculate on the hours, but I think one should treat it as a full time occupation. The hard part is to stay motivated once the novelty wears off.

haque

HSC
Thanks for the advice Affinity-Ive been receiving info from unreliable sources till now-but yeah what would you say is the most difficult or tricky part of this course(by that i mean topic)? Thnx in advanced

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well at unsw for first year, math1151/1251 (actuary) is far harder than math1141/1241 (advanced maths). but take note that actuarial studies is APPLIED STATISTICS and not neccessarily 'maths' as you would define it.

first year is a relatively easy course because a lot of it is just re-teaching aspects of the 3u and 4u course. second semester starts to introduce new concepts to you, especially in algebra. i did zero study all this year and pulled off a 70-odd (which is not impressive at all) in math1241 and your hsc maths marks are much better than what i managed in 05. someone like you should be able to get mid-80s and higher with some reasonable amount of work.

haque

HSC
thanx blackfriday-yeah i'll give it my best shot. After all uai is irrelevant now, going into uni. Good luck with everyhting man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)