B Sc (Maths)/B Sc (Adv Maths) (1 Viewer)

kakuna

HSC
N/A
Hey guys. I hope this is the right place to post this.

So I was looking at the detailed breakdown of the courses you take in a B Sc (Adv Maths) compared to a B Sc (Maths). Am I right in thinking that you CAN do a lot, if not most, of the courses you would do in a Adv Maths degree if you took a Maths degree instead? You don't have to, but it is possible, right?

And say if you did graduate with one of these degrees, how big an effect would Adv Maths Hons instead of Maths (Hons) have on your job prospects? As in, would a prospective employer be really impressed with the "Advanced", or would there not be much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Advanced Maths is basically Science (Maths) with Honours

same thing, unless you want to be pedantic with the wording on the degree testamur or whatever it's called

K

khorne

iT mAkEs aLl tHe GuYz @ JpMoRgAn aNd GoLdMaN sUcKz ImpR3SSed

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What do you intend to do with the degree?

Lecturer?

Finance?

etc.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Fuck, if you get into BSc(Adv Math) do it.
If not, do BSc and do the advanced units and swap to advanced the next year.

kakuna

HSC
N/A
What do you intend to do with the degree?

Lecturer?

Finance?

etc.
I've always liked math and it has been my favourite subject since Year7. I still don't know what career I'm aiming for, but everyone does say "do what you enjoy". So that's why I asked about job prospects in the two degrees- still don't know what degree I want. Cause with a B Sc (Maths) I can pair up with enginnering or whatever but you can't do Adv Maths there.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Would you ever consider teaching it at either a Secondary or Tertiary level? If you really love it, teaching it and passing down your interests would be a rewarding career.

kakuna

HSC
N/A
Dunno, just trying to keep my options as open as they can be and have the most flexibility. I really do like maths though.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I've always liked math and it has been my favourite subject since Year7. I still don't know what career I'm aiming for, but everyone does say "do what you enjoy". So that's why I asked about job prospects in the two degrees- still don't know what degree I want. Cause with a B Sc (Maths) I can pair up with enginnering or whatever but you can't do Adv Maths there.
Bby, at USyd is you get the required ATAR for BSc(Adv Maths) you can do BSc/BE and then choose your stream of Engineering and your science degree (i.e. advanced maths, advanced).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)