B Sci - Double major (1 Viewer)

iptassign

HSC
N/A
Hello!

I go to a top ranking selective school and once I finish the HSC this year I want to study either Psychology or Optometry.
Problem 1: I'm not sure that I'll make the 97.60 cut off for Psychology at UNSW
Problem 2: I was a bit silly and didn't apply to sit UMAT...

My back up: Apply for a B Science and do a double major (Psychology and Vision Science) with hopes I can transfer into B Psych or B Optom assuming I maintain a WAM of 75 in my first 36 UoC.

Has anyone done a double major at UNSW Science?
How difficult is it to maintain a WAM of 75 in first year science subjects?
Does a double require extra hours for lectures etc on campus?
Does anyone know how many people they let transfer/has anyone transferred to these courses?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but thankyou very much to anyone who answers :D

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello!

I go to a top ranking selective school and once I finish the HSC this year I want to study either Psychology or Optometry.
Problem 1: I'm not sure that I'll make the 97.60 cut off for Psychology at UNSW
The fact that you go to a "top ranking" selective school is irrelevant, don't you think?

I was under the impression that science majors are chosen after first year. And I can't speak for Science very well, but for Engo a 75+ WAM will get you first class honours, so I'd assume it would need some effort. And I don't think a double major will increase your workload (substantially) because you're still doing the same number of UoC. Do you still need to do UMAT to transfer into Opto?

iptassign

HSC
N/A
"The fact that you go to a "top ranking" selective school is irrelevant, don't you think?"
---> No not particularly....I didn't mean it in a snooty way, promise! I was just trying to suggest that even though I'm capable of getting good marks, I'm rather unsure of how difficult it is to get a WAM of 75 in first year uni even if you're at a selective school.

Hmm for Optometry there are a couple of units they suggest you study but yeah I'd need to apply/sit for UMAT next year. Let's hope it goes well!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hello!

Has anyone done a double major at UNSW Science?
It's not too different from doing a single major because you take the same number of subjects. Therefore, the workload will be the same.

Hello!
Does a double require extra hours for lectures etc on campus?
No

Does anyone know how many people they let transfer/has anyone transferred to these courses?
Not sure but try look into the UNSW handbook online or the School website.

I think your proposed plan sounds good. A WAM of 75 is definitely possible if you remain consistent with your study schedule.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yup most of us have done it. And yes it is possible to get a WAM of 75.

Study hard. Time managemtn ++++

2 majors just means your subjects will be varied. u will still be doing 4 courses like ur law buddies or economics friends.

Just keep in mind the optom transfer program was instituted back in me and survivor's time at unsw, and its quite competitive. GL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)