B Science (Health and Exercise Science) (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hi, i am very interested into doing this course and was wondering about how important is chemistry, because i dont know do it and was curios about how disadvantaged i would be. also if the chemistry bridging course would bring me up to speed whith the people who have done chem.

another thing is, how much maths is involved because i am OK at maths and thats it, so i was wondering if mathematics takes up a large portion of this degree.

any advice would be much appreciated, thx

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
the prereqs state that you need at least 53 in HSC chemistry. If you haven't done chem at all then you should take up the bridging course. After that you should have the required knowledge to complete the BABS courses.

There do not seem to be any serious mathematics requirements, so if you did 2 unit math, then you should be completely sweet.

eggy91

HSC
the prereqs state that you need at least 53 in HSC chemistry. If you haven't done chem at all then you should take up the bridging course. After that you should have the required knowledge to complete the BABS courses.

There do not seem to be any serious mathematics requirements, so if you did 2 unit math, then you should be completely sweet.
I'm only doing gen maths atm and am thinking of this course for 2010. Should i spend all that time doing the bridging course or is the maths really only for biomechanics?

ichiraku

HSC
I don't do this degree but I what I'm going to say pretty much applies across all first year science courses. The chemistry course you take will probably be very similar to the standard chemistry course taken by other 1st year science students. It's not a hard course by any means, just make sure you understand how to do all the calculations and tutorial questions. It doesn't matter if you haven't done chem in high school and/or a bridging course because all of the relevant stuff from there is covered in the first 4 weeks anyway. Hence, the only advantage other students who have taken chem before will have over you will be in the first set of topics. After that, everyone is pretty much on even ground. However, make sure you get these first few topics down well (stuff like hydrogen bonding, simple reactions, moles, molarity, etc.). Getting this stuff down pat will prove useful in the future courses you take.

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I'm only doing gen maths atm and am thinking of this course for 2010. Should i spend all that time doing the bridging course or is the maths really only for biomechanics?
I can't give you a good answer to that question, however I have to let you know that math bridging course is for those who have done 2u math and are intending to take on first year math in uni, which requires a minimum of 3u. I had a friend who did gen maths in high school and he found the bridging course very difficult.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
I was in the degree in a previous life and the chem course isn't too hard if you have experience with chem. If you've never done it before and are worried, then by all means do the bridging course. I don't think you should worry too much though, considering a lot of people I was in the course with didn't come across as the most dedicated of students and yet still passed from what I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)