B Science in Astronomy and Astrophysics (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi all,

i had originally wanted to do a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majoring in Physics but this course caught my eye (mentioned above) as it is more what i want to do ... Astronomy/Physics/Computing - foams at mouth

can someone provide me with an unbiased view as too why i should do this course

thank you in advance!

^___^
HSC
Jameswilmot2000 said:
hi all,

i had originally wanted to do a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majoring in Physics but this course caught my eye (mentioned above) as it is more what i want to do ... Astronomy/Physics/Computing - foams at mouth

can someone provide me with an unbiased view as too why i should do this course

thank you in advance!
umm, i don't think anyone here has done anything related to this degree except me :p

i did PHYS270(unit description link: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2006&unitCode=PHYS270) 1st sem last yr, and i quite enjoyed it

the program of study can be found here: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=ASTR01

as you can see, theres a fair amount of computing and maths involved. Although both maths and computing side shouldn't be an issue if you put the effort into it

I'm not going to say "MQ is teh bezt 4 aztro!!!!!11" like you might find in other university threads :p
but i'll tell you the lecturers i had for PHYS270 were awesome!

Kegs

HSC
As an outsider watching my friends take this course, it seems like a blast. I am looking forward to doing some of the units involved to make up credit, as there aint enough in geos that I really love.

There is a fair amount of maths involved, and I am not going to lie to you; it is fucking hard. I was a maths major and changed, cause it just wasnt my bag. But for those who dig it, this course is fantastic and like all things worthwhile, they take time and effort.

I recommend it. I hope that was unbaised.

Kegs

HSC
Well, it is important to understand and like maths if you are going to study it at uni. I did alright at 3 unit and maths at uni was really hard. The exam papers are meant to be difficult. It is to seperate everyone out.

The degree you have looked at doesnt have many core maths units (2 first year and 1 2nd yr) but a thorough understanding of maths would be required in some areas at a 3rd year level. (At least that is how it seems). So maybe if it is possible to get into the BSc and then transfer into Astro if you like it, you should think about doing that. I am not sure if the uni lets you do that, maybe someone can answer that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)