B science or B med science? (1 Viewer)

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
hey does anyone know if the 1st year for B med science and B science are the same? because i cant decide which one i should do.. i dont want to finish either degree but i want to transfer to a professional science (optom @UNSW or physio @ USYD), so does it matter which one i choose? and how well will i need to do in the first year?

thanks in advance

sunny

meh.
HSC
There are many, many B Science degrees...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If you want to get into Optom, you should do B Science majoring in Vision Science and transfer after first year.

I am guessing you will need at least 80+ average to have a shot at Optometry.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
faculty of science are taking the better of uai and wam from next year onwards for transfers. That's what ian mcfarlane said.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You mean whichever is better they take into account? But then again, I wouldn't trust Ian McFarlane :D He said he won't put exam questions from his section in the Biochemistry final but it turned out there were TWO questions on his stuff. >.<

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yep that's what I mean. Oh i see, best not to listen to what i posted then :p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Survivor39 said:
You mean whichever is better they take into account? But then again, I wouldn't trust Ian McFarlane :D He said he won't put exam questions from his section in the Biochemistry final but it turned out there were TWO questions on his stuff. >.<
Well then, obviously you weren't listening. I recall him saying that his plant biotech lectures would have a question or two (in the multi-choice section).

In response to the original poster: you can make B Science very similar, by picking the same subjects as a Medical Science degree. To transfer into Optom@UNSW (BSc, BOptom) you should pick Vision Science as your major.

Then, there are approx 25 direct transfer positions. The criteria are as follows:
1) completed first year BSc in Vision science
2) completed UMAT in first year
3) Minimum distinction average in VISN1211 and VISN1231

You will be ranked on UAI, WAM and UMAT result. You are looking at >90UAI for any serious chances,couple that with a >80WAM and a nice UMAT result, and you might make it.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I am not talking about BIOC2201... I am talking about BIOC2101. He didn't taught us the plant biochemistry section. You are talking about the plant biotech section in 2201...

Obviously you were the one not listening.

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Survivor39 said:
I am not talking about BIOC2201... I am talking about BIOC2101. He didn't taught us the plant biochemistry section. You are talking about the plant biotech section in 2201...

Obviously you were the one not listening.
Okay.:rofl: You didn't mention BIOC2101, I assumed you were talking about BIOC2201.

But yes, he explicitly said there would be no questions on plant biochemistry in the BIOC2101 final, but I learnt it anyway, I suspected there would be questions regardless.:)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Did I not explicitly state "Biochemistry final", NOT "Molecular Biology final"?? :rollseye:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Lol okay. I consider them all 'biochem', thats what I refer to them as. Really, I see them as Biochem 2A and 2B, as opposed to molecular biology. Each to his/her own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)