B Science (1 Viewer)

teenangel

hey pplz

I was wondering what do u think the cut-off for B Science will be in 2005?
it was 85.00 in 2004.

do u think it will go higher than 85.00 cause over the past 5 yrs its been increasing a lot. or do u think the cut-off might drop??

And does the faculty acccept students with UAI's just below the cut-off???

thanx

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
i'd prolli say a bit higher ... cus its a backway into alot of things ;)

oh ... and if its on the flexible entry list of courses, you can apply for entry if ur <5 UAI points bellow the cut off.

Last edited:

teenangel

I don't really get how flexible entry works; on the Usyd site it says the criteria used to admit students into its scheme is according to:

- Performance in relevant HSC subjects &
- Performance in Science Olympiads

but it doesn't explain which HSC subjects u need and what the science Olympiads is

Does anybody know what it means???

thanx

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
i have no idea what a science olympiad is, but with the hsc subjects ... just basically in ur application mention (or at interview) how u did in the subjects relevant to the course u wanna do ... in this case like how well u did in maths, physics, chem or bio.

Also in the application mention stuff like why u wanna do this course (ie. career dreams, passion etc.) and why u want to do it @ usyd so much. ;)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
teenangel said:
I don't really get how flexible entry works; on the Usyd site it says the criteria used to admit students into its scheme is according to:

- Performance in relevant HSC subjects &
- Performance in Science Olympiads

but it doesn't explain which HSC subjects u need and what the science Olympiads is

Does anybody know what it means???

thanx
Performance in relevant HSC subjects: They look at your HSC marks for Science subjects (Biology, EES, Senior Science, chemistry and Physics). If say you got a band 6 in Biology, they let you in even though you fell just under the cut-off

Performance in Science Olympiads: World-class competitions for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Students who are invited to this program in High school undergoes vigorous training for the preparation to compete against other students from other countries.

alex_c86

HSC
well i got an offer to b sci hecs and fee paying at uni of syd, and my uai was only 77.45, and the cut-off was 81.40, and i didnt do any science subjects for my hsc (altho i did bio, chem and physics in yr 11 fairly well)... and i dont have eas or access or nething like that, so im slightly confused as to how i managed to get in

tennille

HSC
alex_c86 said:
well i got an offer to b sci hecs and fee paying at uni of syd, and my uai was only 77.45, and the cut-off was 81.40, and i didnt do any science subjects for my hsc (altho i did bio, chem and physics in yr 11 fairly well)... and i dont have eas or access or nething like that, so im slightly confused as to how i managed to get in
I got into B Sceince (advance) and I got below the cut off this year. They base it on other criteria in addition to your UAI (or in some cases, they don't look at your UAI at all). I was pretty freaked out when I realised that I got into that course and my UAI was below the cut-off. I was thinking to myself "they made a mistake!". But they probably based it on other criteria.

alex_c86

HSC
oh ok, yeh cos i was freaking out that they made a mistake and they'd take the course away from me lol... but still i didnt do any science subjects, all humanities and languages, and i didnt do very well in 2u maths... oh well im not complaining

tennille

HSC
alex_c86 said:
oh ok, yeh cos i was freaking out that they made a mistake and they'd take the course away from me lol... but still i didnt do any science subjects, all humanities and languages, and i didnt do very well in 2u maths... oh well im not complaining
Well, they can't really take the course away from you now. lol. If they tried to I'd moon them. :p

But seriously, you got the letter and its on the net...so there can't be a mistake.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
alex_c86 said:
Why do a BSc if your interests/talents lie elsewhere?:confused:

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Why do a BSc if your interests/talents lie elsewhere?:confused:
Not every science unit is a 'science' as such, some general subject areas aren't offered at the high school level, and a person's interests aren't always set in stone. Just an idea...
When are they going to set you up as the USyd mod?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Generator said:
Not every science unit is a 'science' as such, some general subject areas aren't offered at the high school level, and a person's interests aren't always set in stone. Just an idea...
When are they going to set you up as the USyd mod?
LOL I think I'm asking 10x as many questions as I'm answering atm:p

alex_c86

HSC
well i did all 3 sciences in yr 11 (chem, physics and bio) and did fairly well at them, but in yr 12 i did music 2 and music ext, so i decided to do languages and music and concentrate on those... also im considering doin psychology stuff which isnt all that science based. my interests are in science, also my school couldnt organise my timetable.. but thats a different story

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
alex_c86 said:
well i did all 3 sciences in yr 11 (chem, physics and bio) and did fairly well at them, but in yr 12 i did music 2 and music ext, so i decided to do languages and music and concentrate on those... also im considering doin psychology stuff which isnt all that science based. my interests are in science, also my school couldnt organise my timetable.. but thats a different story
Oh, fair enough then:)

teenangel

hey alex_c86

i was wondering what did u get in 2U maths cause if u got band 5/6 then maybe
u got accepted through the flexible entry scheme. they accept ppl into the course
even though u are below the cut-off if u have good science and/or maths results

alex_c86

HSC
hey, maths was a bit of a weak point in year 12 as i didnt put half as much effort into it as i shoudlve... i got a high band 4, which was my lowest subject mark. and also, u have to apply separately for flexible entry scheme, and to my knowlegde (although i could be wrong) they only look at science subjects, which i didnt do

teenangel

For BSci u do not apply separately for the flexible entry scheme it is an automatic process. They look at ur maths and science results, and if u did well even if u are within 5 UAI points below the cut-off they offer u a position. Seeing that u did no science subjects for the HSC and did not get band 5/6 in maths how did u get an offer???? that is very strange......

alex_c86

HSC
yeh i know, i got a place in fee paying, and im above the cut-off for that, but i technically shouldnt have got into the science hecs course as i got several points below the uai cutoff, which is supposed to be the official uai of the lowest student accepted... anyway im not complaining, i got into what i wanted so im happy. has anyone heard of this happening to any one else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)