B Technology (IT Support) (1 Viewer)

mlahoud

hi
i want to get as much info about this course as possible and thought the best way to go about that would be asking people who are actually doing the course... so any info is much appreciated.

also the 2004 cut-off was 66.50 and i only got 72.70 so i'm a bit worried that i wont get in.

thanks

klh

HSC
in 03 it was 62 ish and this year it was 66.50. IT demand has siad to be falling but i dont want to alarm you but there is a skill shortage in IT. Possibly it might rise but maybe by a few points which you will still able to get in.

Funnily enough this is my course that i enrolled into. This is a degreelink course from tafe which means whoever did a degreelink diploma at tafe gets credit for alot of the subjects.
this course is more easier than the comp sci/computing/IT degrees and is less demanding, your core units are basic units compared to the other degrees. But this could be a ticket into uni and into other IT degrees if oyu want to transer.
if you have any other questions about the course, just ask.

Berkay_D

HSC
calm down lol, if you dont get into that course, just put a similiar course and transfer a year.

mlahoud

thanks all for ur comments...

klh - did u go straight into that degree from yr 12? or tafe? also, i'm not too sure what career paths it would lead to... would u recommend this course to someone? i'm giving serious thought into moving it up in my preferences

klh

HSC
it depends on what you want to be. the farthest it will go imo would be a sys admin or a pc repair technician, however if you choose your majors right you can do more. e.g. majors in programming, e-business/security, business computing and web design and others i cant think of now.
But you wont get into the ACS [aus comp society]. To do that you would need to a do an additional year to get recognition i thinks its a Grad Dip in Professional Computing which is made up of prgramming units.

Its what you make of it, thats my advice since it is a uni course. I have transferred into another unrelated course becasue of personal preferences, i was never good at programming. But if you like com
puters and like programming than thats good.

yes i did get into it from yr 12 but only just, uai was 66.50 and the entry was 66.5 so i was the last one in. I asked the lecturer on the D-Day this year and she was tlaking about how this course is more varied than other computing units-you do some business units like marketing and employee training and development which is very good and you get to do a Practicum- work expereince but the real deal not stupid crappy IT vet in yr 12. It depends on your marks in the practucum, if you are not good you go to do the expereince in school while if you are good you get shipped to councils and big companies. Plus there are very hands on units like LAN workshop and PC workshop.

like i said its what oyu make of it, dont listen to others. if you thinks its crap, always a transfer as other course can give you more majors to choose from. the first semester units are quite easy, Principle of Prffessional communictaion is lik eenglish ate high school -how to write/communicate professionally and referencing, Intro to IT is like IT vet in yr 12, Finite maths is a bit hard but remember the theorems and programming principles is hard at first but gets easy lateron.

hope it helps amte, good luck!

EDIT: Also not ethat i still have text books of this course if you want them, dont want to miss a chance to sell of my books either. new condition and stuff. PM is interested. ;P

mlahoud

thanks a lot klh for the info... it sounds like an alright course so far.

even though my goal would be to transfer to B Design (Visual Communication) after first year, i wouldnt mind doing IT support and then the advanced diploma if that didnt happen and probably major in wed design.

lol nah sorry.. not interested in any books atm :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)