BA/BSc (1 Viewer)

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
hi there

just wondering if anyone does the BA/BSc double degree? i was thinking of doing it with majors in human geography and french and i'm undecided in what else. i have a few questions:
it is a big workload?
what majors do you do? what are they like?
is it possible to have the sci major in exercise science?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
beccabum said:
hi there

just wondering if anyone does the BA/BSc double degree? i was thinking of doing it with majors in human geography and french and i'm undecided in what else. i have a few questions:
it is a big workload?
what majors do you do? what are they like?
is it possible to have the sci major in exercise science?
If you're planning on doing a language major (or even minor, which is four consecutive language subjects), then expect work. Languages are hard work, but very rewarding. Also, I've found Arts majors to be very over the place, a language major has structure. There isn't the sort of choice that exists in other universities, but at least there's language subjects.

I'm not sure about a BSc and exercise science. Consult the course handbook. It can be found at http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/index.html

Good luck with studies. Don't let what I wrote be a deterrant to languages, they are really very rewarding.

suz

HSC
hey there i too have to agree with tim

A language requires at least 6 hours of contact a week in 1st year compared to a normal arts sub like politics which has 3 hours of contact a week, which in itself is a bit demanding but I must admit I found my Italian classes more enjoyable than my other arts ones, the atmosphere was different and we did alot of practical stuff, making Italian for me the sub I could relax and enjoy myself in. Having also studied Italian for the HSC I was lucky in that I didn't have to spend as much time on the work compared to my friends , making it very achievable to get HD's. Have you studied French before? if you have u r at a serious advantage in regards to the time u will spend on the sub (im assuming that u will be starting from 100 or beginners level) and the great marks u will get. I also found that starting the language from the beginning also helped me understand better and pick up things I had forgetten since high school. You will also meet a range of people from different faculties and you will all become close since u spend 6 hours together a week and are forced to do all these activities together, also remember that a lot of people don't study languages, from what I saw, so class numbers aren't that large. The thing I found annoyin bout Italian n im guessin French would b the same is that u have to do these lab activities, um listening and video manuals which was so borin n a waste of time, but they do give u a chance to get to know others better, ur bound to find sum1 from ur class in the language labs at the same time as u!!!

If you plan a language major you will also have to do cultural subjects throughout ur degree, i think there is only one in first year. I found the Italian equivalent to be the hardest 2 hours to get through since the lecturer was great at putting me to sleep lol. Um, the workload was alot, since we had 3 texts but I shouldn complain since I rarely did the readings. The content itself is bearable, u learn the history of the country and also touch on geographical aspects, the politics of the nation, etc. I have heard that the French lecturer, I think Henri Jeanjean is very good so u dont have to worry!!!!

Okaiz enuf ramblin from me, hope that made sense
Best of luck with ur choices n if u have any questions bout languages feel free to ask!!!!

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
One thing I saw for the French major is, unlike Japanese, there are electives you can take. The same as Italian. With a Japanese major, all subjects towards knowledge in the field that the uni offers is part of the major. If you haven't looked at the major for French yet, then I strongly suggest you do: http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/dept_ArtFrench.html
In fact, when you look at anything in the handbook, ensure that there's the yr2005 there (as majors can change from year to year, in fact, the Japanese major has changed for 2005).

Geography can be found at: http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/dept_Geo.html for the major rules, and the subjects can be found at http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/scienceschedule.html I have no clue which ones would be for you (or even if that's correct).

In regards to your Exercise Science in the Science degree, the faculty allow students undertaking BSc degrees to do approved second majors (as long as the first is a science major) in Biomedical Science, Computer Science, Human Resource Management, Management, Marketing, Mathematics/Applied Statistics, Nutrition, Physics, Psychology. The faculty also allows students to undertake a major study in their Science degree (without a science major) to take Computer Science, Mathematics/Applied Statistics, Physics, Psychology as single majors which are external to the faculty. So to answer your question about exercise science... it looks doubtful.

However just because the Internet says you can't do something, doesn't mean you can't do it. Talk to people in the faculty, both faculties (Science and Healt and Behavioural Sciences), about the issue. They'll help.

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
Thanx guys for your thoughts and advice. Yes, I studied French for the HSC and found it a really great subject, I like languages as I find them easier than most other subjects. I had heard from someone else that the French lecturer was good, so hearing it from more than one person is more reassuring.

I doubted if I could do exercise sci as part of this double degree, but I enjoyed doing PE at school and hoped to continue it, but as Poloktim suggested I guess I can figure something out if I talk to actual humans about what can and can't be done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)