BA Communications Journalism (1 Viewer)

featherplucker

HSC
ok guys just wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on the good and bad features of the BA communcations course with a major in journalism at uws?
its up there on my preferences for uni courses as i want to become a journo and i live in penrith. ive just got my uai of 77 and the course was cutoff at 70 last year, ive also done the stat/ret test and got 81 so im pretty sure i should be ok in getting into the course, but we'll still have to see.
i guess i just want to know about how the course material,setup and running is? is it of a good quality? i have heard the the uws comm course is highly regarded outside in the workforce, is this true? also the fourth year of the course is this an internship and how likely are jobs after the course?

one last question, more general, but does anyone know what range a journalists salary is? im talking in many areas eg print (paper or magazine) or tv or radio?

thanks very much!

benny.

Angel45

HSC
featherplucker said:
ok guys just wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on the good and bad features of the BA communcations course with a major in journalism at uws?
its up there on my preferences for uni courses as i want to become a journo and i live in penrith. ive just got my uai of 77 and the course was cutoff at 70 last year, ive also done the stat/ret test and got 81 so im pretty sure i should be ok in getting into the course, but we'll still have to see.
i guess i just want to know about how the course material,setup and running is? is it of a good quality? i have heard the the uws comm course is highly regarded outside in the workforce, is this true? also the fourth year of the course is this an internship and how likely are jobs after the course?

one last question, more general, but does anyone know what range a journalists salary is? im talking in many areas eg print (paper or magazine) or tv or radio?

thanks very much!

benny.
Hi.
I'm doing B.Communications with Law. And I went in wanting to do journalism but I now wish to major in PR. I found it was good coz I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do so doing intro to journalism, PR, advertising and screen media (all core units) is good to get that range if a) ur not 100% sure which field u want to do and/or b) they're interelated anyway so good to have that background in them all. Umm.. some of the core units are a bit tedious and esp. if u know what u want to do can seem a bit useless (design thinking and convergence & new media- eeek) but a lot of communication courses seem to have a few of them thrown in. Possibly could have a few more electives. I also compare the lectures to my law ones and doing that seems to make some of the communication ones seem a bit airy fairy.

It's a very practical course which is gr8..at least all the intro to major subjects are very practical..not having done any majors yet i can't speak for them but i'd imagine they'd head down the same path...seems to be pretty popular with employees (i've read a number of articles pinned up in the office waiting to see lecturers which speak favourable of it) and it got like a 100% student satisfaction score in a recent survey. So, most ppl must be happy!

Assessments r usually like
journo - write an article
pr - solve a crisis
advertising - design a campaign
comm law & ethics - solve some mini problems which use scenarios where media law is involved
comm research - do a research project
etc.
combined with like essays and/or, speech and/or a group presentation thing.

PR this semester we had like a lecture every 2nd week and 1.5-2hr tutes and i felt we could have had many more lectures (seemed a bit rushed in the lectures)..so i don't know if that's funding problems and i hope doesn't destroy what seems to be a good course.

Ppl. and lecturers have all been nice and goodso that's a plus! :p

Hope that helps in a way.

All the best.

featherplucker

HSC
hey thanks for ur reply, yeh that was heaps helpful! so overall do u find uws a nice uni to go to in general? and i dunno if ur into it or nething but whats the extra stuff like eg uni sport, social life, atmosphere? also how far do u travel, and im guessing ur going to the penrith campus? if u r how are the facilites?

thanks again!

cheers, ben.

klh

HSC
info on sport/activities at this website: http://www.uwsconnect.com.au/

penrith campus is located at kingswood station, and you have to walk in, or wait for the free shuttle. Werrington campus can be walked to from kingswood, but also from werrington station too.
FAcilites, youll prob find on the website mentioned, bt they are ok. smallish gym bt its got the essentials, bar, cafeteria and cafe, tennis courts, 2 big libraries, though with arts werrington library is your main one, kwood is alot of eng/comp/maths stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)