BA/Social Work (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Hi,
I know there have been some similar questions on here but anyway I have a few.

I'm doing a straight BA (Sociology, Philosophy) now and the more I study the more I realise that I want to get into the practical side of things more so than the theoretical. I want to do a job that sort of helps people more, rather than just a nothing desk job. So i have been looking at doing Social Work as a combined degree with my BA.

Currently I am in New Zealand with program leave from the ANU but at the end of the year (well sooner for applications) I might try and transfer into a Social Work degree. I am not going back to the ANU even though they seemingly have a good program, so I am looking at other places where i could do this course.

So far the most promising one is Monash, which has a first year entirely of Arts (so i could claim a fair of credit hopefully) and is only a four year course in total.

UNSW also has a BA/B Social Work but its a five year course and it looks as though my credit would not be so easily used.

So can anyone tell me about these unis, any other uni offering the combined degree and just general information about the social work course. Obviously I might not get in, but I would like to just work out my options. I definately want a combined course as I want to graduate with a BA as well.

Thanks for any info,

Andi

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Hey,
I am doing a B.A/B.S.W at the moment at USYD. I honestly think that the majority of your credits would transfer over in Sydney as the first 3 years of the course is, in majority arts electives... (some compulsory socio which you have already done)....
Come to Sydney!

Andi0390

HSC
I looked up the Usyd course and was getting heaps excited. Though I did mini calculations and there is no way that I will get in. :(

I'm sad now. I probably won't get in anywhere decent. I'm not smart enough/too lazy.

noisymyna

HSC
I transferred from Sydney Uni to Monash to the BA/BSW at the beginning of last year. I had a Distinction average from Sydney Uni and didn't get into Monash till the Third Round! Monash only takes about 10 students a year into the combined degree so if your marks aren't excellent there is almost no hope of getting in.

And I have heard rumours that the BA/BSW degree is going to be discontinued at Monash so i'd probably concentrate at Sydney Uni.

Saying that though I have found Monash to be an excellent university, with excellent lecturers who are more than happy to speak to you outside of class. Sydney Uni was not as good in that area in my opinion, though the grounds are nicer :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)