Ba (1 Viewer)

staree

HSC
N/A
hmmm
i am doing BA now and philosophy is one of my subjects..... thinking about making it my major..... or minor major...

may i qualify to help you answer any questions?

Lillith

you definitely qualify.
i am thinking of doing Bachelor of teaching (special ed) combined with BA in philosophy...
What is it like? How hard is it? and which uni would be good?

staree

HSC
N/A
Well... i go to UNSW.
The philosophy subject I did last semester was called Minds, Bodies and Persons.
3 hours a week and an hour tutorial.
We covered philosophers like Descartes, Merleau Ponty, Nietszche, etc.
We didn't have an exam because they didn't believe that exams were necessary because we needed to show our understanding of the readings that we done. So basically we had to do some essays. the last two essays were worth 30%.
We discussed different philosopher's ideas on the mind, like what it is, who has it, etc. Relate the mind to the body, do they interact, is the body real, etc...... And we dealt with Personal Identity, like what separates us from others, how we express ourselves and why.
It's all very wishy washy at times and sometimes u have to read through everything 800 tiems to understand it, but I found it really enjoyable and interesting. I got a distinction in the end, so I plan on keep on doing it till I fail!
The next one I'm doing is called Ethics and Society. It's about well... ethics and society..... dealing with euthensia, and other moral issues and discuss differents views and ideas.

Job wise, if you major in pihlosophy, when u graduate, u will be working in universities. That is if u choose to use ur Philosohpy qualification to look for a job.
Teaching philosophy at uni is the most common job for philosophy graduates, but if u want to work in other areas, apparently employers appreciates Philosophy because it means u can think for urself and understand concepts.

As for which uni to go to, i don't know...... whichever one suits u best... i will look into that more.....

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I'm at UNSW and I'm starting a philosophy subject next session called "Knowledge and Reality" errm .. First lecture is tomorrow - so I'll crap on later :p

Lillith

It sounds interesting so far and UNSW is one of my options but im also thinking sydney. One question though...is it a popular subject? because people wise, i would prefer to have a smallish tutorial...thats why another uni ive been looking into is newcastle even though it would mean relocating.

staree

HSC
N/A
my tute last semester had about 20 people in the class..... give or take a few

staree

HSC
N/A
life n.- "active principle of existence of animals and plants, animate existence; time of its lasting; history of such existence; way of living; vigour, vivacity" (Australian English Dictionary)

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Is it possible to do a major in philosophy rather then an actual BA

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
How useful is philosophy though, despite it's interesting nature?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How useful is philosophy though, despite it's interesting nature?
If you're at uni simply to get a degree/qualification for a job, then its useless for you.

But believe or not, there was a time when the pursuit of knowledge and skills extraneous to performing in a job was the reason people went to universities and get 'higher' education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)