• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Accounting (Co-op) 2016 (1 Viewer)

esaitchkay

HSC
Hi BoS,

It's that time of year again, where final year students begin to apply for cadetships and co-op programs.
I'm sure you have all seen the Cadetships 2015 thread, as well as the past threads.

Personally, I found BoS to be a great resource to discover and learn about the different cadetships and co-ops offered by firms and universities, respectively.

As my signature says, I'm a first-year university student.
Ultimately, I ended up choosing the Bachelor of Accounting (BAcc) program, for the family-like environment of BAcc, internship opportunities and scholarship.

When I was researching BAcc, I couldn't believe that you would be so closely knit, but honestly, I don't think you'll ever get a chance outside of BAcc, where you enter a lecture, on the first day, and you're already good mates with 30 great people.

In addition, you have the opportunity to network and really get to know people who've had experience and are absolutely willing to help you. It's invaluable, especially as a first year student, to find out what you really want to pursue.

So what is BAcc?
It's a 3 year business degree, which includes 2 x 6 month industry placements at two of our 20+ sponsors.
These sponsors are not just accounting firms, but also include banking, property and commercial firms!
It also includes a $46,500 scholarship (tax-free!) over the three years which you are a BAcc.
Historically, there has been a 95% graduate employment rate.

If you have any questions regarding BAcc directly, please post here (for the benefit of others!).
If there are any other cadetship/co-op queries, feel free to either PM me, or post in the cadetship thread, where you'll receive a bunch of answers!

In addition, there'll be a BAcc Information Evening
http://www.uts.edu.au/about/uts-business-school/accounting/events/bacc-information-evening
This is just an opportunity to talk to current/graduated BAcc students, as well as sponsors and staff.
I'll be there, too!
- This has passed, but if you have any questions, post here or PM!

Here are just some key dates:
Tuesday 19 May: Information Evening
Friday 5 June: Round 1 Application Cut-off

Friday 23 October: Round 2 Application Cut-off

For more details, and link to application (which are OPEN), visit:
http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/business/business-study-areas/accounting/bachelor-accounting

Last edited:

Stevebt123

HSC
I'm thinking of applying to this course, I just wanted to know in your opinion how good is the course?

esaitchkay

HSC
I'm thinking of applying to this course, I just wanted to know in your opinion how good is the course?
Hey Stevebt123,
Firstly, good job on already considering your post-HSC options!
It's great to see students who are forward-thinking.

As far as business degrees go, I think this is the best degree.
You graduate in 3 years with a year of professional, relevant, work experience - huge edge over other grads.
You become really good mates with a lot of people, quickly.
You get paid to study.

The list goes on and on.
In my opinion, I think it's worth applying for EVERY cadetship/co-op and weighing up your options when you arrive there.
You miss 100 percent of all the shots you don't take.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Hey Stevebt123,
Firstly, good job and already considering your post-HSC options!
It's great to see students who are forward-thinking.

As far as business degrees go, I think this is the best degree.
You graduate in 3 years with a year of professional, relevant, work experience - huge edge over other grads.
You become really good mates with a lot of people, quickly.
You get paid to study.

The list goes on and on.
In my opinion, I think it's worth applying for EVERY cadetship/co-op and weighing up your options when you arrive there.
You miss 100 percent of all the shots you don't take.
Arguably the UNSW Co-ops do the same job as the UTS one, if you're set on co-ops and you had a choice between the two, then it more comes down to which university you enjoy better,atmosphere,friends,travel etc.. this is of course if you're keen on a path in accounting, if you think you'll enjoy other majors more (finance,actuarial etc..) then UNSW has the edge to provide specific co-ops in that sense.

esaitchkay

HSC
Arguably the UNSW Co-ops do the same job as the UTS one, if you're set on co-ops and you had a choice between the two, then it more comes down to which university you enjoy better,atmosphere,friends,travel etc.. this is of course if you're keen on a path in accounting, if you think you'll enjoy other majors more (finance,actuarial etc..) then UNSW has the edge to provide specific co-ops in that sense.
Yep, absolutely agree Chronost!
Both UTS and UNSW offer great co-op programs - some sponsors have students from both universities interning together!

To add to the list of differences regarding UTS and UNSW, I'd say the list of sponsors is quite different, in addition to the atmosphere, friends, travel.

Stevebt123

HSC
Thanks for the answers, I'll definitely be handing in an application for this course

Stevebt123

HSC
Hey. I just got an interview for the UTS Bacc and I was wondering if there was any specific advice or pointers that you guys could give me about the whole group activity/ interview process.

Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Have some good examples ready for the interview which are hopefully able to demonstrate some pretty core competencies. Be aware of your weaknesses and which aspects you might not come off looking great at, and then prepare some responses for it. Beats going in hoping they won't notice or ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

esaitchkay

HSC
Hey. I just got an interview for the UTS Bacc and I was wondering if there was any specific advice or pointers that you guys could give me about the whole group activity/ interview process.

Thanks
Congrats!

Seremify's advice is spot on.

I know people say you shouldn't have pre-prepared answers, which is true, but it doesn't hurt to have a think about yourself.

Best of luck!

Jinks

HSC

Thanks
Advice above is spot on! For any interview process I find it useful to mind map some of your experiences to date and link them to potential interview questions. I.e. times you have demonstrated leadership etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the other point I'd make is like all scholarships/cadetships, it's not just about you showing off how awesome you are. A lot of people get caught up in the mindset that an application or interview is an opportunity for you to list a million things which are good about you. It's not. It's an opportunity for your future investors (i.e. people who are going to be paying for your future in exchange for your commitment) to understand whom they are investing in, whether they should be investing, and whether or not they see a future where they will get better access to a higher calibre talent pool. Whilst one way of doing this is to show off your long list of extra curriculars, it's more important to show how you would be able to fit in either into the program or their company/firm (or both) in the longer term. With this in mind, have a think about how you would respond to questions.

Jbailey

HSC
Hello, I also got an interview and would love the opportunity to do the course. The email said there are 150 applicants being interviewed - i did not expect nearly as many!! Anyway, does anybody know what is involved the group interview stage? cheers.

esaitchkay

HSC
Hello, I also got an interview and would love the opportunity to do the course. The email said there are 150 applicants being interviewed - i did not expect nearly as many!! Anyway, does anybody know what is involved the group interview stage? cheers.
Hey Jbailey. Congrats on getting into the interview stage! It should say in your info booklet what the day will consist of. I'm not sure what it'll be like this year.

Group interviews are normally conducted to see how you perform in a team environment.
In my opinion, effective teamwork involves being an active listener and being able to empathise with your team members, and the issues/problems/challenges at stake.

yrneh

HSC
Hey Jbailey!
Yeah it is quite a big number isn't it! Just a little teaser of how competitive and desired the course really is haha ;)

In response to the group interview question, my memory is a bit faded but the main point of it is to see how you work and communicate with your team members. You'll be put in groups and presented with a scenario where you and the other members are judged to see how you work as a group in presenting the final pitch. Be confident and passionate, but also remember that everyone else on the day wants to be a 'leader', so at times you may find yourself fighting with others for the spotlight. So while its important to provide input, listening to others will also take you a long way!

Last edited:

hawkrider1

HSC
N/A
Are the round 2 cut offs open? I was too carried away with my school assessments that I forgot to apply for round 1 offers. What are the chances of me getting accepted if I run with round 2? Is it worth the effort, or does UTS take most applicants from round 1?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Little chance. But if you're willing to give it a go, it can't hurt

jaydogz

HSC
Are the round 2 cut offs open? I was too carried away with my school assessments that I forgot to apply for round 1 offers. What are the chances of me getting accepted if I run with round 2? Is it worth the effort, or does UTS take most applicants from round 1?
Hi hawkrider1,

Good question! You are free to apply for round 2 up until Friday the 23rd of October. I think that you should apply as you don't want to miss out on this wonderful scholarship. Yes, the majority of the BAcc intake is from round 1, but there are a decent amount of students who applied from round 2. From my knowledge the application and interview process is exactly the same, so you won't be disadvantaged in terms of that. Overall I think this should definitely not discourage you as many students are in your position and the coordinators of the program are well aware that some students may be too busy to make the first cut-off. Good luck!

Jbailey

HSC
Also, I know that everything I have read about te bachelor of accounting stresses the need for the candidate to be 'well-rounded' in terms of extra curriculars. Does that mean that they are after someone who isn't a nerd per se but more into sports and the like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)