Bachelor of Arts: Should I Set myself up for senior subjects for 2nd year? (1 Viewer)

fakermaker

HSC
I'm reading the USYD handbook and trying to find subjects that might interest me.

I find that there are a few junior subjects and a lot of senior subjects. To qualify for a senior subject, you must complete 12 units of junior (which equates to two junior classes).

I chose 4 classes a semester, 8 in a year. Would it be wise to choose all of my classes in pairs (eg: 2 history, 2 politics, 2 philosophy, 2 sociology), to ensure that I am able to continue further studying subjects I find interesting in my first year.

What If I were to choose 3 history and 1 philosophy in my first year, but discover I enjoy philosophy much more upon completion. Does that mean I have to take another junior subject the following year?

Also, Can I take senior subjects in my first year, semester 2, assuming I have enough points from semester 1?

Lastly (and more specifically), is there a way to organise the times of classes at USYD? I'm looking through the units of study page (http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/units_of_study/table_a_ab.shtml) and can organise what subjects I want to take for semester 1 and 2, but while my friends at alternative universities are organising their timetables, I cannot find times of classes or lectures.

Any help is much appreciated.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm reading the USYD handbook and trying to find subjects that might interest me.

I find that there are a few junior subjects and a lot of senior subjects. To qualify for a senior subject, you must complete 12 units of junior (which equates to two junior classes).

I chose 4 classes a semester, 8 in a year. Would it be wise to choose all of my classes in pairs (eg: 2 history, 2 politics, 2 philosophy, 2 sociology), to ensure that I am able to continue further studying subjects I find interesting in my first year.

What If I were to choose 3 history and 1 philosophy in my first year, but discover I enjoy philosophy much more upon completion. Does that mean I have to take another junior subject the following year?

Also, Can I take senior subjects in my first year, semester 2, assuming I have enough points from semester 1?

Lastly (and more specifically), is there a way to organise the times of classes at USYD? I'm looking through the units of study page (http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/units_of_study/table_a_ab.shtml) and can organise what subjects I want to take for semester 1 and 2, but while my friends at alternative universities are organising their timetables, I cannot find times of classes or lectures.

Any help is much appreciated.
I think that the way you've planned it out is quite a good plan considering you need to do 48cp worth of junior units anyway.

If you only did 1 junior unit of a particular major in first year, and felt you preferred that one you would need to do another junior unit in second year.

If you completed all your junior units for a particular major in Semester 1, you can commence senior units in Semester 2.

fakermaker

HSC
I think that the way you've planned it out is quite a good plan considering you need to do 48cp worth of junior units anyway.
What do I need to do 48cp of junior subjects for? To complete the degree?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What do I need to do 48cp of junior subjects for? To complete the degree?
Darn, I think I misread that. Please ignore haha.

It's a max of 48cp for junior and min of 96cp for senior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)