Bachelor of Commerce and Business/ Law (1 Viewer)

kimjuliana

HSC
The degree above has assumed knowledge for Advanced English... I didn't do advanced english I did standard. Will I cope or should I take a bridging course?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Wow you change your mind quickly, and to completely different areas. I think you're getting pressured too much by your parents. Go for a walk or sit down in a park and think clearly about what career path you want to take.

kimjuliana

HSC
yea i know... I get influenced easily... sigh.. I just wish someone could tell me what to do:(
but anyways... do you think I would need to take a bridging course for advanced english? or should I just wing and hopefully I can deal with the english?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
First of all, you need to ask yourself: How confident are you in your writing ability?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
writing ability? like essays? essays: err i can do okayish i suppose
Okayish? Well maybe you need to brush your writing ability up a bit because the law part of your degree is pretty hard as you need to be on top of your work since there's a huge load of content.

In saying that, you probably need to do a bridging course.

Why did you do Standard in the first place?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

kimjuliana

HSC
I was advised to do standard by my teachers :( But yea, tbh I dont know what degree to choose, im torn between teaching and commerce. From research I know that commerce has good job prospects because of its broad range of majors but I'm unsure if I'll actually like it. Teaching I'm really passionate about, but from family friends who have been teachers and are in the first years of placement they say it's pretty crappy and its hard to find jobs. That does scare me... My parents want me to find a good stable job and to them commerce seems more stable and teachings seems pretty unstable.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I was advised to do standard by my teachers :( But yea, tbh I dont know what degree to choose, im torn between teaching and commerce. From research I know that commerce has good job prospects because of its broad range of majors but I'm unsure if I'll actually like it. Teaching I'm really passionate about, but from family friends who have been teachers and are in the first years of placement they say it's pretty crappy and its hard to find jobs. That does scare me... My parents want me to find a good stable job and to them commerce seems more stable and teachings seems pretty unstable.
Oh well, hopefully you did your best in Standard anyway. :/

It's hard I know, but you have to think: Do you want that job because of the money or for the enjoyment? That's only something you can decide.

EDIT: I call bullshit for the bolded part. It's their opinion whether they liked teaching or not, your view might differ if you choose that field. Don't listen to them. Go with your gut.

Last edited:

kimjuliana

HSC
money isnt an issue, I just want to be paid. I want a job because of employment. Soo which is the best degree for employment then?

kimjuliana

HSC
okayy sigh :) thanks anyways.. this is so hard.... people say commerce and teaching are both good employment

kimjuliana

HSC
which is the best major in commerce for job employability?
sorry for all these questions I'm just so lost... arghh

Ironist

HSC
I've heard that finance is good. Plus, finance doesn't rely as heavily upon your writing ability, so it might benefit you a lot more! :)

With that said, don't choose a degree that you really hate - realistically, not many of us actually get a job we enjoy, but make sure that it's one that you can tolerate at least. Don't be the guy/girl who has a mid-life crisis about ten years down the road, and has to restart everything...

Good luck and have fun!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I've heard that finance is good. Plus, finance doesn't rely as heavily upon your writing ability, so it might benefit you a lot more! :)

With that said, don't choose a degree that you really hate - realistically, not many of us actually get a job we enjoy, but make sure that it's one that you can tolerate at least. Don't be the guy/girl who has a mid-life crisis about ten years down the road, and has to restart everything...

Good luck and have fun!
Getting a role in finance is much more competitive than teaching. Don't expect to sit back in uni and get get a job when you graduate, for any decent role in finance you need amazing marks, work experience and extra curricular activities to even get into the interview phase.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
extracirrcular activities? what activities are the best for finance?
You're competing against the best of the best for a small amount of roles, you need something AMAZING (e.g your own trading portfolio with solid returns, running some sort of successful business, anything that involved experiences internationally etc). To get in from UWS would also be a tall order, i'm not bagging the uni out but the expectation is a G8 uni. However i am talking about finance roles most aspire to, you could get into a much less desirable role however the competitiveness of commerce grads is significant. Accounting would be easier to get a role but it is still quite hard, in fact getting a grad job in any industry is difficult now due to the saturated market of graduates.

Not sounding harsh or anything but i wouldn't even consider finance if your passion is teaching. You will always hear the negatives of an industry from anyone who works within it. Ask someone in finance about the industry, you will get negative comments as well.

There is no PERFECT job, just simply follow your passion or a job that meets your desired outcome i life.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
An English bridging course for a domestic student who completed their HSC successfully? Unless you got a Band 2 in Standard English or any lower, you should be fine :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Drifting is right. You seem like you have no idea what so ever about finance/accounting,and due to the competitiveness you'll have a much harder time finding a job in accounting and finance then teaching where your passion lies and that alone will you bring you ahead of others. Last I've heard science and math teachers are in high demand,and you seem to be going for either of those,so I'm sure you'll be fine landing a job. Do your teaching degree in USYD and you'll have the best shot available(as I've heard it has the best teaching facility)(not taking in other factors).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)