Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW or Usyd? (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
In the real world UNSW, Usyd, Macq are all pretty well regarded. UTS is pretty decent too from what I've heard. At the end of the day, if you were applying for a graduate position and went up against an applicant from each of these universities, nobody is going to get preferential treatment based on where they spent the last three years.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with the above. It's your extra curricular activities, your involvement in life, work experience, etc... which will make all the difference. Furthermore once you've landed yourself an interview, everyone is on an even footing anyway.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
if you find the workload to hard there's always the library suicide door...

Lumix

HSC
I agree with the above. It's your extra curricular activities, your involvement in life, work experience, etc... which will make all the difference. Furthermore once you've landed yourself an interview, everyone is on an even footing anyway.
What kind of extra curricular activities are they looking for?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Anything which shows something which is valuable in the workplace whether it's people skills, organisation skills, initiative time management, relationship building, learning, coaching/mentoring/teaching, etc...

e.g. Red Shield Appeal is something which taught me people skills (initiating conversations with strangers and convincing them to donate), working in several uni societies and writing articles showed language skill as well as managing deadlines/expectations of others, etc...

Deathless

HSC
Please state which one you prefer and at least one reason why.
Now that I've gone to uni. I've had a change in perception from when I was doing HSC.

I would say that they are both the same - judging from my own experiences and what I perceive from others who I've talked to.

Besides timetabling, location and social factors - they're really similar and very much the same. In my opinion, Macq and UNSW have better timetabling. USyd has a better location (unless you live near Macq or UNSW) and USyd has a more larger 'variety'/type of people you'll meet. If you do a combined degree with law or an arts subject - USYD is better than Macq because the Arts department is very good and the Law department has heaps of stuff and I think the students in Law are a lot closer than at UNSW. Not that close but close enough that you'll know a very large number of fellow students that do your degree. Helps for assignments etc. The Arts department has a lot of variety and some of the courses (languages) go through more detail and at a slower pace than UNSW.

There's also no data quota at USyd - someone above said there was. Also against what someone said above - you can do double majors at USyd.

I think I will repeat again... that I don't think reputation really matters. It's just what is more 'convenient' for you (location, friends and so forth). Someone said something about UTS above I think. It's not really that 'bad' a uni, and i think it's still good for doing Law or Business. The teaching really depends on the lecturer rather than whats on the lecture sheets. Usually you can just study without going to lectures in my opinion.

I may be a little biased in my opinion though, cus I'm more concerned with just the sake of studying rather than job prospects at the moment though.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Now that I've gone to uni. I've had a change in perception from when I was doing HSC.

I would say that they are both the same - judging from my own experiences and what I perceive from others who I've talked to.

Besides timetabling, location and social factors - they're really similar and very much the same. In my opinion, Macq and UNSW have better timetabling. USyd has a better location (unless you live near Macq or UNSW) and USyd has a more larger 'variety'/type of people you'll meet. If you do a combined degree with law or an arts subject - USYD is better than Macq because the Arts department is very good and the Law department has heaps of stuff and I think the students in Law are a lot closer than at UNSW. Not that close but close enough that you'll know a very large number of fellow students that do your degree. Helps for assignments etc. The Arts department has a lot of variety and some of the courses (languages) go through more detail and at a slower pace than UNSW.

There's also no data quota at USyd - someone above said there was. Also against what someone said above - you can do double majors at USyd.

I know that you can do double majors at UNSW and pretty sure you can do it at most other unis.

nedzelic

HSC
It seems that for all the IB and finance functions I've been to, the majority of students are UNSW, with a sizeable minority being from USyd. The rest are from the other 50 unis in Australia. So if you want to get into IB, perhaps UNSW a good idea?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Personally, I chose Macquarie because of the resources and facilities available for Commerce students. The career services and internship units (i.e. you can do an internship and get recognised credit for it) were also a big plus.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Keep in mind that the arguments like "the majority of people in IB are from XXX university" may not necessarily reflect on the quality of the university or the course but rather just the students/candidates who study there.

I'd say for most graduate positions other than the highest echelon of finance roles, the university you go to does not matter that much as long as it's decent & recognised by the relevant industry body.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)