Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (1 Viewer)

biggie walls

HSC
Im not sure if I will make the UAI cut off for B Comm (Liberal Studies) - it was 97.65 in 2005, I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS COURSE... not just straight commerce!

BUT

Im not sure if I can achieve the cut-off, however I do think i have a good chance of achieving the cut-off for straight B Comm, which is about 90 - 93ish??...

Has anyone got into straight B Comm and then after a year transferred to B Comm (Liberal Studies) ?

What was the process like? How competitive? What kind of marks you have to achieve in first year? Do most of the courses you do in B Comm count for B Comm (Liberal Studies) ?

Thank you very much!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
why do you REALLY want to do this course? about this time last year i had the same feelings as you but the usyd people themselves at the final open day (the one right before we put in our final choices for uni) talked me out of doing this course...

transfering shouldnt be much problem if you have a distinction average for first year (which actually requires you to do homework and not sleep through lectures).

biggie walls

HSC
I REALLY want to do it, because - Business aka Commerce is what Im natually good at... however I quite often detest some of the ideas it presents and find many aspects of it extremly boring... SO, I want to do a commerce degree WITH extra studies in the arts, sciences, etc. etc.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh it is an interesting degree to do, but i was told by the usyd people that at the end of it all, employers dont really care that you spent an extra year at uni studying subjects you didnt need to study.

what you're saying was exactly how i was thinking last year, but after 8-9 weeks of thinking (the time in between getting your uai and putting in your preferences) i realised that the extra 4-7 grand or so probably wasnt worth my trouble. thats my opinion anyway. but now im on com/sc and i kinda wish i didnt do such dry subjects. i would do anything to miss first year accounting actually.

do you have any specific major plans you want to go into?

Last edited:

biggie walls

HSC
No I honestly dont have any "career plans" so to speak at this moment.. dont really know what area of commerce I want to go into.. and yeah I wasnt really considering doing the liberal studies component to make myself more employable

thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you dont have any plans for the moment but you want to do a business degree, then com (lib) is perfect for you. im yet to hear anything bad about it from anyone doing the course.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
its definitely a good degree...

i'll be coming out of it with 3 different business majors, and quite a diverse knowledge base...

the only downside is: once you actually figure out your career plan, you may lament having to do the extra year... most of the people i went through commerce with are now graduating, and i still have an extra year to fill, even though i'l have completed two of my majors, effectively...

in my mind, the ideal Commerce (Lib) course would only be 3 years, but allowing you to replace the core Commerce units with arts and sciences of your choosing...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
biggie walls said:
Im not sure if I will make the UAI cut off for B Comm (Liberal Studies) - it was 97.65 in 2005, I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS COURSE... not just straight commerce!

BUT

Im not sure if I can achieve the cut-off, however I do think i have a good chance of achieving the cut-off for straight B Comm, which is about 90 - 93ish??...

Has anyone got into straight B Comm and then after a year transferred to B Comm (Liberal Studies) ?

What was the process like? How competitive? What kind of marks you have to achieve in first year? Do most of the courses you do in B Comm count for B Comm (Liberal Studies) ?

Thank you very much!
Very competitive for transfers, last year the transfer cutoff was higher than for law

lala2

Banned
HSC
Seems that UNSW is following USYD's footsteps regarding all the Liberal Studies courses including Commerce (Liberal Studies)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
My guess is that Paton (the guy who ran Comm and Critical, and was pretty much the driving force behind the degree) took his business elsewhere. I know he was having major disputes with the faculty about the future direction for the degree, and was threatening to walk out...

jpr333

HSC
Whats gay is transferring to commerce from comm(lib) means i have to do the new core units but strangely i can do my majors under the pre-2006 resolutions. Wtf is up with that.

jpr333

HSC
Kek, bye guys. Got around the new 1st yr reqs by submitting a jam packed award course planner.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the UAI cut off for B com(lib) is higher than B com/b arts

Im sure they are referring to people who are doing something like b com/b arts and only want to do B com OR B arts (single degree of b com and b arts is lower than the combined)

Im 99% sure you have to go through UAC and transfer. check with SIO

ledzeppelin

HSC
Sarah168 said:
the UAI cut off for B com(lib) is higher than B com/b arts

Im sure they are referring to people who are doing something like b com/b arts and only want to do B com OR B arts (single degree of b com and b arts is lower than the combined)

Im 99% sure you have to go through UAC and transfer. check with SIO
I checked with them, you were right :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)