Bachelor of Computer Science and technology (1 Viewer)

Kurtis

Hi guys
I was reading up about this offered course and was wondering wether its the same traditional Computer Science course you get at say, UNSW or UOW ?

liz

HSC
Hey i do that course. I'm only in first year at the moment though. The course is ok you have to do software as a subject and two mathematics subjects and then you get 2 elective subjects where you can pick out a big range of subjects from many faculties this is per semester so about five subjects a semester (these electives can be other computing subjects if ya wish). The course is ok and you can major in one or two of five computing majors i think. The only think i don't like is the long hours. At the moment i have class 24hrs per week which is alot for a uni student but it all depends on the electives you pick.

Winston

HSC
wow liz thanks for the info, that's my first prefs and i'm aiming badly for it, i'm even submitting a portfolio in to see if i can get in, do you know any more alternative ways, i'll definately try my best to undertake these alt ways to get in. Thanks!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
24hours is average. Med sci do about 27 (or is it 30?) and commerce do about 1... okay, maybe 12.

I do comp sci at unsw and I find it very interesting and challenging. A friend at USYD wants to transfer to UNSW (same course). Not trying to bias you or anything :) But the CSE department here gets a lot of funding.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by anti
A friend at USYD wants to transfer to UNSW (same course). Not trying to bias you or anything :) But the CSE department here gets a lot of funding.
I heard USYD has a new IT Faculty building, which is currently in works :D which will be ready for us w00t...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
I heard USYD has a new IT Faculty building, which is currently in works :D which will be ready for us w00t...

actually from what i hear, its still in the design stages and that it might be up in 2007....
which sucks cuz i won't be there no more!!

bMaN oNe

HSC
Man, I Am Dying To get into this course next year, at sydney. I'm going to try that portfolio thing too, but I thought that you could only hand in a portfolio to get into the advanced course, not the normal computer science and technology? Anyway, hopefully a portfolio will help. Anyone here used a portfolio in the past to get into this course?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh i'm pretty sure you can use the portfolio to get into both b. cst advanced or not. uh it shouldn't be that hard to get into, this year's cut off was 82 WITH VACANCIES... so it could of gone lower if more people applied!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by bMaN oNe
Man, I Am Dying To get into this course next year, at sydney. I'm going to try that portfolio thing too, but I thought that you could only hand in a portfolio to get into the advanced course, not the normal computer science and technology? Anyway, hopefully a portfolio will help. Anyone here used a portfolio in the past to get into this course?
Nah the portfolio works two ways

If your UAI is slightly below the cut off, for the normal one and they accept it, your in.

I think if your UAI is slightly below the Advanced cut off then yea u use the portfolio too

like u i am so dying to get in

bMaN oNe

HSC
Originally posted by jlh
uh i'm pretty sure you can use the portfolio to get into both b. cst advanced or not. uh it shouldn't be that hard to get into, this year's cut off was 82 WITH VACANCIES... so it could of gone lower if more people applied!
Ahh k. 82 with vacancies? So does that mean that next years cut-off is probably going to be lower thatn 82? I sure hope so! Although i should get higher than 82, that does sound more comforting :)
Originally posted by Winston
like u i am so dying to get in
Well then hopefully I will see you next year at uni! :D

Winston

HSC
Ahh k. 82 with vacancies? So does that mean that next years cut-off is probably going to be lower thatn 82? I sure hope so! Although i should get higher than 82, that does sound more comforting :)

Well then hopefully I will see you next year at uni! :D
haha yeah hopefully i'll see u as well :D

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
well in 2003 the cut off could of dropped lower! but i don't know how it will be this year. remembering that UAI cut off's are based on the number of positions they have in a course and the number of people applying!!

bMaN oNe

HSC
Rightyo, thanks then, hopefully it won't be too high :S Good Luck All Next Week!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh it starts next week? i'm in uni so i wouldn't know!

good luck all!

BrentMcKendrick

Just got offered

Hey everyone i just got offered a place in B Computing Science and Technology at USYD, although (haha dont laugh) i only did general maths, but that was only because i was lazy and wanted to have fun more than study, i did both sdd and ipt and got dux for both and recieved 90's in the hsc for it.

for uni im gunna buckle down and study the maths part, like i definantly know i can do 2u, but 3u and 4u and harder stuff i just dont know. All my teachers say i should b a software engineer, and i agree because i have alwasy been good at it. Though i am a little scared about the maths....

do you think that this course is for me?
thanx guys, help is much appreciated,
Brent

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Depends on which area of IT you wanna get into. For some you don't need a great deal of maths at all. The area of maths that you probably needs is discrete maths, which isn't covered explicitly in the HSC. You probably won't need stuff like calculus. But you should still try to bring your level up to 2-unit equivalent. If you have a good grasp of logic in programming, you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)