Bachelor of Computer Science & Technology (BCST)? (1 Viewer)

lostunistudent

HSC
How hard is the BCST degree at Usyd? Is it easier than UNSW Comp Sci?

I'm from UNSW Comp Sci and just did my first assignment... probably gonna get like %30. I haven't been able to do most of the weekly programming labs without the help of my partner - I've desperately tried to learn the content and catch up but every time I spend lots of time on computing I fall behind in my other courses. I've heard UNSW CS is very theoretical and mathy, does this mean its much harder than CS at other uni?

I know Usyd is a prestigious uni and computer science is no easy course, so to clarify my question: is used's BCST workload and homework slightly easier than UNSW CS and do they teach at a slower rate? I feel that my Comp lecturer goes too fast and is a horrible teacher.

So is it a good idea to transfer from UNSW to Usyd? I just want to do better and understand my content more thoroughly..
I'm only doing 3 courses/units and already struggling with the workload (will this be bad at Usyd since I heard Usyd requires you to fulfil 24 UOC per semester?)

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
I doubt it. If you're struggling with computer science at UNSW, then you're going to struggle with computer science here.

I think the problem isn't that the computer science course is too hard, but rather that you're not studying correctly.

The only thing you can do is to just spend more time on your computer science course at UNSW.

- Use your lecturer and tutor's consultation hours.

- Try and go through the lecture notes and textbook sections again to get a better intuition of what's happening.

- Use Google and Youtube to help grasp the content.

- Draw diagrams and write out numerical tables on paper to help you get an understanding of what's happening in the program you're looking at.

You need to find what works best for your learning.

Good luck.

keepLooking

HSC
Note: I'm from UNSW doing Computer Science.

Are you talking about COMP1511? COMP1511 has a new lecturer in-charge and he has changed most of the content to be quite challenging as compared to its equivalent COMP1917 offered in the previous years. Andrew's aim in assignments/exams is to ensure only the best get full-marks but will not let others fail easily. The assignment you just completed was definitely hard and I don't even think any of the 2nd years will be able to get full-marks. That said, there are consultations where you can just rock up and a few tutors will be there to help with labs/assignments or just general COMP-related problems.

If you had no previous programming experience, this subject will be tough but once you practice enough, you will have no trouble after first semester. Persist through this first semester, it will be worth it at UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)