Bachelor of Environments: what's it like? (1 Viewer)

Rottweiler

HSC
Interested in transferring- could anybody tell me a bit about the course content/quality, etc? Would love to know your opinion.
My interest is in architectural design, so I'm especially curious to find out how Melbourne teaches it- is it more theoretical/technical/practical at undergraduate level?

Thanks!

matsing

HSC
its a great option, but with the melbourne model it means you have to do masters

sluu001

HSC
I previously completed my B.Architectural Studies at Melbourne and my sister has just completed her B.Enviro (Architecture Major) as well. The general perception by both the industry and by students (including myself and my sister) is that Melbourne is much more of a theoretical rather than a practical University. As such, a lot of subjects in the Architecture major trend towards the study of construction materials/techniques; as well as Architectural history. You will still have one very large semester "Studio" subject every semester, but technical training in Architecture programs (such as ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, RIVIT) are mostly self-taught.

I also give this warning to prospective Arhitecture Students out there, be prepared for a long hard slog. I contend that the amount of work involved in an Architecture major will rival that of Medicine. Students are given 24 hour access to the faculty building for a reason, and the amount of times I have spent 72 hours straight in that building finishing projects would surprise a lot of students in other diciplines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)