Bachelor of fine arts/ cofa (1 Viewer)

maryjill

HSC
Hi, so I'm extremely set on getting into fine arts at cofa... but I have a problem
I'm not so sure I'll be able to reach the required atar (79), as over all I'm not doing so well.
I have applied for the educational access scheme for 2 options (death in my family twice, both grandpa's december last year and june this year, and a personal learning disability)
in saying this, my mark in visual arts is very high, I've always done well in Visual Arts and my mark at the moment is 96% and I'm hoping for a mark in the 90s in the hsc.
Would they still consider me seeing as my va mark is quite high?
Thank you... :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yep, if you don't make the cut off, you can try send a letter to whoevers in charge, maybe with a portfolio of your works etc.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
If you get a band 6 in VA that will effectively "lower" (for want of a better word) the ATAR to 76 as UNSW give out HSC Plus points for subjects relevant to the course (VA is the only course COFA consider for a Bachelor Fine Arts). These "bonus" marks are automatically added in when considering your UAC application. Your circumstances also are likely to make you eligible for bonus EAS (Educational ACCESS Scheme) points so you might be OK. Can I ask what subjects you did for your trials and the marks you got (if that isn't too rude) and your assesment ranks (if you know them) as I might be able to give you a very rough projection of a possible ATAR. I've been doing that for my son who is also aiming to go to COFA (Bachelor of Digital Media).

All the best of luck!!!

PS No offence to the previous poster, but forget the portfolio suggestion - COFA admit students purely on the basis of their ATAR; they are the only major Art College in Australia to do so which is lucky in my son's case as he'll get a killer ATAR but his portfolio is in his head (ie his imagination and creative drive) not on paper.

Last edited:

maryjill

HSC
Hi, sorry I never replied
Yes I do realise there is no portfolio, makes life a little easier haha
Most of my marks have been around the 70s ... I did drama, advanced english, ancient, bio and of course va... so basically it wouldn't scale so well
But, I did manage to score 96 percent in visual arts, you can definitely tell what subject I favoured ha! and I'm hoping after the exam my final mark will sit on the high 80s or even a 90! we will see...

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
Hi, sorry I never replied
Yes I do realise there is no portfolio, makes life a little easier haha
Most of my marks have been around the 70s ... I did drama, advanced english, ancient, bio and of course va... so basically it wouldn't scale so well
But, I did manage to score 96 percent in visual arts, you can definitely tell what subject I favoured ha! and I'm hoping after the exam my final mark will sit on the high 80s or even a 90! we will see...
You should have your assessment ranks now for each subject - how did you go (and have a stab at what raw marks you think you may have scored in the externals). Also, are your cohorts strong or weak (this will have a bearing on the impact they will have on your final mark, depending upon your rank). If I could get this info I would be able to give you a better guesstimate at your atar.

However, for now, let's assume you scored a raw 70 in each of your subjects except VA - let's say that was 85. Based on exam marks alone (and on previous years' data) that would give you a rough ATAR of around 86 (remember, the marks are aligned). HOWEVER this is all dependent of attaining good ranks as these determine your final HSC mark - if your ranks are poor (near the bottom of the class) then this estimate could drop pretty drastically.

PS - Only just realised you are a Shire girl from Gymea - same here (Cronulla)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)