Bachelor Of Information Technology = Too hard? (1 Viewer)

Jaron2005

HSC
Hey guys, I am very interested in doing Bachelor Of Information Technology at UWS, I was wondering what maths level is required?

I have done general mathematics in year 12, is this good enough for the maths in Bachelor of Information Technology?

Or is 3 unit maths required, which i assume is the case.

Cheers

klh

HSC
Well IT has alot of programming, which has some maths requirements. Importantly, its about logic. If you did SDD, that may help you, but Discrete Mathematics can be a tad hard to understand as it doesnt resemble any mathematics that you have studied. You also have to do statistics, which is at least you hav edone in general.
Importantly, the maths here really is a foundation unit, they will teach you step by step, and that its abotu solving problems so you can apply them in programming.

I did some of it in my first year, and i did 2 unit, and though they lecturer said I had it easy since i did 2 unit, let me tell you, i go through it because i worked hard, i asked and consulted the lecturer for help and genuinely applied myself. So it may be dificult to understand, but if you do all the work and get the book, you'll do fine.

Search for Discrete Mathematics in google, so you can have a taste.
Also, most unis, including UWS, have maths support classes where you can ask for help, special and i think free classes for those who didnt do 2 unit to have a summary of 2 unit from the learning skills unit etc.
A link to the workshops/bridging courses:
LSU
Bridging programs

hope it helps.

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
IT isnt' like CompSci or Compeng, so i only require little math! 1st yr maths should be sufficient for it.:rofl:

klh

HSC
No, comp ci/eng is more mathematics involved, but im saying that it does have much math content adn that you shoudl be aware of its nature. see engineering maths is hard and difficult, with all those heoires/forumulas etc. It is a blend of busienss and computing, but you stil need a level of maths, to be able t understand it. im not saying you need 2 unit or 3 unit, but if you do it, it may help. if it doesnt, you can always hassle the lecturer/tutor or go for support from LSU.

Jacks

HSC
I did SDD in year 11/12 but no maths...lol...

Anyways if you're interested in doing the course that's cool, but generally speaking it is assumed (or at least preferred) that you have done 2u or 3u maths. If you're worried that you may not have the necessary mathematical skills or knowledge then perhaps you should consider doing a bridging course to bring you up to that level...it wouldn't hurt in any case and it could ease your mind a bit about whether or not you know what you need to...I haven't studied the course, but from memory the UAC guide does state that at least 2u is probably necessary to cope reasonably with the course. I think a bridging course is your best bet, if you're really keen.

poolfreak

HSC
yo, im currently doing this, and i rkn its alright, a lot of programming though, discrete maths isnt exactly the easiest, luckily, i havent failed anything yet.

i can give u more info abt the units that are undertaken in 1st yr and stuff, so just message me if ur interested in knowing more abt it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)