Bachelor of International and Global Studies! (1 Viewer)

trao06

HSC
Whoa, new course! =D Anybody else applying?

It looks exciting, but the information provided on it is limited.. does anyone have any info they can lend as to its content, where you can go with it, etc? Thanks!

spence

HSC
The course looks good i'm thinking of transferring into it. There's a bit of info in the arts prospectus, telling you what majors, etc. you can do

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Sydney uni LIVE.
2:30 PM
Bachelor of International and Global Studies
Wallace Lecture Theatre, Science Road

nick1689

HSC
Sounds really interesting, is there any info at all about what the core units are going to be?

@spence: do you think that those subjects listed in the prospectus are the only subjects you can major in? Im surprised history isnt there.. (especially since im more than likely going to major in it)

@backcountrysnow: whats that you listed? An info session about it or something? Do you have a date?

nick1689

HSC
Ohk thanks, I wonder if theyll be the only core units for the degree, or if theyll still keep on govt2801 and 2802?

24hrs

HSC
Pardons for the intrusion. Alright, so this is global and international studies merged - does this mean the UAI will probably remain at 92-95ish, or does intake change? (Seriously, not getting my hopes up here.)

Additionally, if anyone going to LIVE would be able to post some info for B.I.G.S (i live in a magical land, far, far away and cannot attend), i would be super grateful :wave:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
here ya go mate.
BackCountrySnow said:
Sydney uni LIVE.
2:30 PM
Bachelor of International and Global Studies
Wallace Lecture Theatre, Science Road

spence

HSC
I've found this course proposal, has some interesting info about the course, could be useful
nick1689 said:
Sounds really interesting, is there any info at all about what the core units are going to be?

@spence: do you think that those subjects listed in the prospectus are the only subjects you can major in? Im surprised history isnt there.. (especially since im more than likely going to major in it)

@backcountrysnow: whats that you listed? An info session about it or something? Do you have a date?
Yeah I'm pretty sure they're the only ones you can do for your first major, but there's plenty of room for another major as well as electives

24hrs said:
Pardons for the intrusion. Alright, so this is global and international studies merged - does this mean the UAI will probably remain at 92-95ish, or does intake change? (Seriously, not getting my hopes up here.)

Additionally, if anyone going to LIVE would be able to post some info for B.I.G.S (i live in a magical land, far, far away and cannot attend), i would be super grateful :wave:
According to the course proposal, they're trying to keep the UAI comparable to the two current courses

spence

HSC
nick1689 said:
Ohk thanks, I wonder if theyll be the only core units for the degree, or if theyll still keep on govt2801 and 2802?
Looks like they won't be core anymore according to the course structures they've shown

nick1689

HSC
But the only course structures we've seen have only included the ings units, surely there would be more than two core units.

So you have to major in atleast one of the subjects listed in the prospectus, and then you can pretty much choose any other major, is that right?

So since that Syd uni live thing is over, does anyone have any new info about the degree?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
the PDF posted upthread says that there'll be four INGS units in total. two of them will be the 1000-level units i posted above, the other two are:

INGS2601 Perspectives on the Global
INGS3601 Current Global Issues

and yeah, you do one major from the list (anthropology, american studies, arab world/islam/middle east, asian studies, australian studies, european studies, government and international relations, political economy, sociology) and another major of your choice in arts or science.

tahlsy31191

HSC
Yes! I am applying. Looks soo good.
Does anyone know what the UAI requirement before it became International and Global Studies was?

spence

HSC
International studies was about 95, Global was about 92

HSC
at the open day they said uai should be around 93-95
in the arts course book it said 93.5

looks like a good course
but i dunno if i would rather go to mac instead, better languages, better opportunities

spence

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
at the open day they said uai should be around 93-95
in the arts course book it said 93.5

looks like a good course
but i dunno if i would rather go to mac instead, better languages, better opportunities
Which languages do they offer that Syd doesn't?

rasengan90

HSC
spence said:
Which languages do they offer that Syd doesn't?
The only one I can think of is Russian. I would love to learn it but Sydney > Macquarie.

HSC
you would think sydney uni would eb better yet syd has only just made this corse this year.. which is a tad of a worry as new corses have flaws. macquarie on the other hand is new bout 3-4 years (correction please) but at least theyve had some experience. UNSW looks like the best bet although in time sydneys will prob dominate

spence

HSC
-Cake-or-Death- said:
you would think sydney uni would eb better yet syd has only just made this corse this year.. which is a tad of a worry as new corses have flaws. macquarie on the other hand is new bout 3-4 years (correction please) but at least theyve had some experience. UNSW looks like the best bet although in time sydneys will prob dominate
Yeah but this is a replacing 2 different courses that USyd used to offer. There are only 4 new units being offered which are all similar to courses which used to be offered, so I doubt that it being new will be a bad thing

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)