Bachelor of law? (1 Viewer)

HSC
When doing a law degree do you loose any of the law units when doing a double degree?
Ive been wondering for ages of it would be worth doing a double degree for the extra year.
Thankyou

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't think so. You'll find that you will have less spots for electives as those spots would be taken up by the other degree's core units.

Besides, I wouldn't recommend doing just a LL.B. The extra degree will make your search in the job market infinitely more easier as there are too many graduates trying to get into the field of Law.

HSC
Thankyou for your help.
I will take it into account and most probably go for the double degree

enoilgam

HSC
When doing a law degree do you loose any of the law units when doing a double degree?
Ive been wondering for ages of it would be worth doing a double degree for the extra year.
Thankyou
You usually lose units from the other degree. Like with Law/commerce at my uni, you dont have to do business law and business communications from the commerce degree. Also, some commerce majors have general electives. For example, with HR you have to do 3 general electives like macroeconomics, mircoeconomics, finance etc. If you're doing combined law, you dont have to do those general electives.

Also, as Ozko said, your better off doing a combined law degree as opposed to straight law (very few universities offer straight law undergrad).

izzy88

HSC
You don't lose subjects from your law degree by doing a combined degree. You lose subjects from the other degree (eg. arts or commerce). The LLB as a combined degree and the LLB as a graduate degree are identical. However, the LLB combined is slightly different to the JD (which is generally now the graduate law degree at most universities), but unless you want to go to the US to work, the differences don't really mean much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)