Bachelor of Music at UNSW or ANU? (1 Viewer)

yoyo987

HSC
I have been accepted into both of these universities for music and I am really confused about which one to choose. Which is better known for its music program? I heard that ANU is facing some trouble, is that true? It would be really appreciated if someone can help me and tell me about their experiences.

qrpw

HSC
Don't know anything about the music program at ANU.

UNSW music is shaping up to be a viable alternative to the Con (in my opinion), they restructured the whole thing this year. Relative to the Con, it is theoretically easier and in less depth, but it's nice. There's no competition, nothing to stress about, and some very good people there. If you've got any questions about the degree itself I'm happy to help.

yoyo987

HSC
Thanks so much. I just wanted to know what the atmosphere was like, so thank you for your help. Are there many ensembles or events that a musician can join?

Lina3

HSC
My music teacher, who really liked talking about music education in Uni named the Con and UNSW as the two most desired unis for music. However, he attended ANU himself and said he enjoyed it and that it had a good program. Now, this was back in the 70's and 80's so not sure how it is now but ANU is Australia's top uni, so I reckon its certainly a good option also. Maybe consider other factors like campus atmosphere and travel issues as well.
There's no competition, nothing to stress about, and some very good people there. If you've got any questions about the degree itself I'm happy to help.
Nice :) sounds exactly what I am looking for. Got into UNSW for music as well.

yoyo987

HSC
Thanks. I'm starting to lean towards UNSW now. Is it your first preference?

qrpw

HSC
Agree, perhaps the biggest difference between ANU/UNSW is not the faculty itself but the location and accommodation and money an stuff. I assume you live in Sydney, so if you'd like college life and moving out then that would be a bigger factor.

Thanks so much. I just wanted to know what the atmosphere was like, so thank you for your help. Are there many ensembles or events that a musician can join?
Off the top of my head, there's quite a few. Orchestra, Wind band, a few jazz ones, and interesting stuff like a gamelan group, world music ensemble, african drumming, handbell ensemble, all led by faculty members. I'm sure you could also start chamber groups if you're interested. There's not really too many concerts here and there (so not like the lunchtime concerts at the Con) but the major ensembles have twice-yearly concerts and the Australia Ensemble also has a few.

Lina3

HSC
Thanks. I'm starting to lean towards UNSW now. Is it your first preference?
No, it is my second. But thinking about how dodgy my externals were, I'll make it 1st after the ATARs come out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)