Bachelor of Oral Health at USYD Help please! (1 Viewer)

username1928

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how hard it is to get into oral health at sydney uni and also how hard the Personal Qualities Assessment (PQA)? What would the minimum ATAR be for me to be considered?
Do you think that a bachelor of oral health is a good stepping stool to get into dentistry?
Also, if i don't get into the course, will a bachelor of science help me for post-graduate studies such as dentistry?
If anyone is doing the course at the moment, how are they finding it?

Sorry for all the question but I'm really interested and want to know about the prospects of the course.

Thanks

Last edited:

hkx92

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how hard it is to get into oral health at sydney uni and also how hard the Personal Qualities Assessment (PQA)? What would the minimum ATAR be for me to be considered?
Do you think that a bachelor of oral health is a good stepping stool to get into dentistry?
Also, if i don't get into the course, will a bachelor of science help me for post-graduate studies such as dentistry?
If anyone is doing the course at the moment, how are they finding it?

Sorry for all the question but I'm really interested and want to know about the prospects of the course.

Thanks
Finished BOH sydney.

Parts of the PQA is similar to UMAT but easier.

The ATAR to be considered is in the low 70s, but middle ATAR or people who make is was in the 80s when i got in. It is probably higher now that the PQA/ATAR/interview are given an equal weighting. When i got in, people were ranked on interview score so long as the met the minimum ATAR/PQA requirement.

Oral Health gives you an introduction in Dentistry, but not many people who graduated from Oral Health have gotten into dentistry lately. As far as I'm aware 2 people who graduated in 2010 started at CSU this year (no one from that year got into dentistry at any uni for 2011). No one from the class of 2011 started dentistry this year... Approx half of BOH students want to do dentistry.. there are also some people who are turned off by Dentistry all together after doing BOH.

I cant comment on the course, it has changed a bit since i started, but its really time consuming 25-35 hours per week contact hours plus study at home (that hasn't changed).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Aicir

HSC
Finished BOH sydney.

Parts of the PQA is similar to UMAT but easier.

The ATAR to be considered is in the low 70s, but middle ATAR or people who make is was in the 80s when i got in. It is probably higher now that the PQA/ATAR/interview are given an equal weighting. When i got in, people were ranked on interview score so long as the met the minimum ATAR/PQA requirement.

Oral Health gives you an introduction in Dentistry, but not many people who graduated from Oral Health have gotten into dentistry lately. As far as I'm aware 2 people who graduated in 2010 started at CSU this year (no one from that year got into dentistry at any uni for 2011). No one from the class of 2011 started dentistry this year... Approx half of BOH students want to do dentistry.. there are also some people who are turned off by Dentistry all together after doing BOH.

I cant comment on the course, it has changed a bit since i started, but its really time consuming 25-35 hours per week contact hours plus study at home (that hasn't changed).

Hope this helps.
I've passed PQA and has done the interview, when and how would you know your interview has been successful? Do they send an email prior to main round offer regarding your interview and if you are eligible for an offer?

Thank you.

moocow920

HSC
I'm in same situation as you, we definitely don't find out anything prior to main round, you just have to wait till 16th of January and see whether you get an offer. Good luck

Aicir

HSC
Oh congrats!
I've heard a friend who received a rejection email saying they didn't pass the interview. So i thought they would have at least sent a feedback to all applicants too.
Good luck to you too! And fingers crossed we'll get in!

zxreth

HSC
Contrary to popular belief, BOH is not recommended by even the Dentistry faculty at USYD as a stepping stone to post grad denistry. Why? call them up and ask.

Aicir

HSC
Contrary to popular belief, BOH is not recommended by even the Dentistry faculty at USYD as a stepping stone to post grad denistry. Why? call them up and ask.
Its explained in the FAQ of the course in the usyd website.
something along the lines of it being an intense course and is recommended for graduates to take a break after graduating. they suggest med sci instead.

ianzhou

HSC
So How should I prepare for the PQA and what kind of questions do they ask during the Mini interview?

LGW23

HSC
I would also like to know what is asked in the interview! What are they looking for in this interview and how should I prepare?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)