• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Psychology??? (1 Viewer)

poisoned_veins

Hey guys,
I want to do Bachelor of Psychology at Newcastle. It's a rather high UAU - 89.25, which I know I can get, but I'm not studying much at all even though I'm trying really hard to make it work.
I know I can do Bachelor of Science majoring in psych, and was wondering if there's anyone doing such a thing now; someone who has experience at Uni to give me some advice, and tell me what it's like? If it's easy to transfer courses etc.
Thanks a lot.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I did BSc last year, and in that did psych. For an accredited sequence (which you need to go into further studies) you need to do more subjects than a regular major. Ie, a major at 3000 level (third year) has (at least) 4 subjects from a given area. However for the accredited sequence you need to do 6 3000 level psych subjects, which would be quite limiting if you found you had a passion in another area.
It is also competitive to get into the BSc (Psych honours) program.
However, provided you have a reasonable UAI (ie, high enough to get you into the BSc) and reasonable GPA you should have little trouble transferring at the end of first year.
If you do a BSc, you need to have what are known as "two science pairs" in first year (ie, a subject and its follow on subject in second semester). Obviously you would choose psych, and I recommend biology for your other one (since the BPsyc kiddies have to do one bio anyway). You also need to have one more science subject each semester, and that gives you one free to play with in each semester (I recommend you look at the BPsyc program and see if you can do any of their subjects, eg PHIL1060, that way you get credit if you get a transfer)
hmm, I have no idea what I've just said, its late, but if you have any more questions, just ask!

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Don't do it! for the love of your mum please don't do psych! lol
I'm attempting to write a horrendous lab report for psych 1020 at the moment and it's so blooming horrendous!

I'd just see if you can transfer after 1st year, that's what i'm doing (but not into psych!)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Haha, I remember the great, umm, pleasure derived from the 1020 report...haha, it was so enjoyable, that I never picked it up once they'd marked it!! :s
I discourage anyone from doing psych, but hey, if you think it will be your thing, then go for it.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I did educational psych and that was bad enough... the lecturer was a monkey, but thats not the point... the content was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I dont think BSc (majoring in Psych) is the same as BPsychology, its more science based psych normally dealing with neuroprocesses and how it relates back to biology/physiology/chemistry.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
Ignore him, he is wrong.
Notice I said think :rolleyes:

Thats how BMedSci-Psych is at Macquarie.

Does BSc-Psych allow you to graduate as a certified Psychologist?

Last edited:

poisoned_veins

I've just had my wishes granted... I've received a letter from an academic at Newcastle Uni and everything will be fine! :D:D:D I'm very relieved more than happy actually.
Thank you very much for the info hipsta_jess, it was very informing! I've checked into it all, and I can do most of the BPsych courses, especially in year 1 - all of them if I wish :) I also do Biology now for the HSC and LOVE it, so I will definately do bio if I can as it ties in with psych.
And none of you will ever turn me off of psych! It's what I've wanted to do for a long time. I've had MANY problems that involve psychology and it's the only thing I want to do right now. I want to help people who have been through similar things that I'm going through now and have been through in the past. I think psychology is a subject/profession that only a select few can really have a.. natural talent...? for. I'm not saying that I have that, but I sure hope I do. I've got enough psychologists/social workers/psychiatrists on my side, so I should be right! :) As my social worker said "you look at some psychology students and just think 'WTF ARE YOU DOING HERE?'". Some people just can't grasp the idea of living with a mental illness and what that truly means. You're whole life is turned upside-down.
ANYWAY.... I won't get into that even though I've rambled on too much already. It's late and I'm tired. Off to bed.
Thanks everyone for the help! There's a HUGE weight off my back :)
xxoo
D.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
nessie_lee said:
I'm attempting to write a horrendous lab report for psych 1020 at the moment and it's so blooming horrendous!
I... I haven't started that lab report yet... :eek:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
bscienceboi said:
Does BSc-Psych allow you to graduate as a certified Psychologist?
You do an accredited 3 year sequence in your BSc, then pray to the Gods (ie, kiss butt) that you get into the honours program. At the completion of that, BSc and BPsyc are essentially the same, only different names. Then, obviously, is masters if you want to do clinical.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
All hail hipsta_jess who is the God of all knowledge about BSc degrees and all that it entails.. etc etc

(you can pay me later jess.)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Jess's ideal degree: BSc/BOccThy.
But does it exist? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. I miss my BSc :(

M_86

HSC
May I ask how the uni responded.
I was under the impression that you would have to reapply through UAC after first year. To do this they take the average of your UAI and your GPA (equated to a mark out of 100, look at the transfer subforum if you want to know more about that).
So, say if you just made it into science and your uai was I dont know 76.
Now say you get the max of 100 in first year.
They would make the calcuation (100+76)/2=88 which isnt high enough to make it into psych.
I guess you are hoping for a bigger UAI or did the uni give you another option.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Thats not entirely accurate. Check out this link for the process governing transfers. For the GPA, a raw mark isn't used, it is based on the grade (eg, a grade of 70=C, which equals a grade of 5). Your GPA is then calculated, and this grade converted (so, a C average = UAI equivalent of ~89)

I don't think that made much sense. But the link explains it well.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
according to that document mine would be 96 at the moment but when i finish this semester it will jump to 98 (provided i get Ds or above)

M_86

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Thats not entirely accurate. Check out this link for the process governing transfers. For the GPA, a raw mark isn't used, it is based on the grade (eg, a grade of 70=C, which equals a grade of 5). Your GPA is then calculated, and this grade converted (so, a C average = UAI equivalent of ~89)

I don't think that made much sense. But the link explains it well.
Ya I understand that. I musnt have explained it well.
I just meant that your GPA is used to calculate your new mark (NRSL) which it is.
Some people might use their WAM and this would be wrong.

But the question still stands anyways.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
M_86 said:
They would make the calcuation (100+76)/2=88 which isnt high enough to make it into psych.
I guess you are hoping for a bigger UAI or did the uni give you another option.
88 Isnt the "new" UAI but the selection rank for non-year12 apllicants. There are spaces opened in a particular course for new entrants (year 12 and UAI) but also sometimes limited spaces for other applicants. Applying through UAC and not being a year 12 student, means that you will be applying for one of the limited places. Who gets the space is determined by the selection rank.

M_86

HSC
Yep true.
When I rang SBS they qouted me the NRSL selection rank.
It was exactly the same as the UAI cut off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)