Bachelor of Science/Adv Studies or Bachelor of Adv Computing (USYD) (1 Viewer)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, here is my dilemma:

I got 98.50 so I am applicable for Dalyell Scholars in both of the courses above, and both allow you to do 2 majors. Regardless of the course I picked, I would end up doing the same 2 majors (Computer Science and something else, i.e. data science, mathematics, finance or design).

Considering I'm 100% gonna be doing a computer major (i.e computer science major), which actual Uni course should I do? Like Adv Computing has a lot of core units and are these necessary whereas I could skip them in the Science degree and have more projects, internships and advanced coursework in 4th year?

Alsooo is there a difference in the qualifications that I graduate with?

Thankssss

gallen88

HSC
Hey guys, here is my dilemma:

I got 98.50 so I am applicable for Dalyell Scholars in both of the courses above, and both allow you to do 2 majors. Regardless of the course I picked, I would end up doing the same 2 majors (Computer Science and something else, i.e. data science, mathematics, finance or design).

Considering I'm 100% gonna be doing a computer major (i.e computer science major), which actual Uni course should I do? Like Adv Computing has a lot of core units and are these necessary whereas I could skip them in the Science degree and have more projects, internships and advanced coursework in 4th year?

Alsooo is there a difference in the qualifications that I graduate with?

Thankssss
Mmmm, I don't really know the difference between the qualifications that you can graduate with. However, I'll give my two cents and hopefully this will be helpful.

NOTE: This is just how I perceived his question, I do apologise if my information is incorrect to anyone else on boredofstudies!

Since you are planning to do Computer Science as one of your two majors and this will be one of the two majors you will do regardless of course you choose above, I personally think maybe you consider Bachelor of Science/Advanced Studies.

Advanced Computing has more core units and considering you already have to do 2 majors I think this will increase the amount of work you have to do at university. While it's good that there are more core units associated with Advanced Computing I think that since you have to do 2 majors already and then do addition core units this can make it stressful for you at USYD. However, considering the fact you were able to do a lot of stressful subjects and achieve strong HSC results for them then I think you will be able to manage the work load.

Whereas, Bachelor of Science/Adv Studies while it has more projects I think it will give you a better idea of the practical side of computing, especially that you more internships offered in this course. I think this will be able to give you a deeper understanding of the field you want to work in later in life. Both this and the fact that you will have more internships for computing, can be very helpful for your resume for your first job as you will have more practical experience of computing/Science. Additionally, the fact you can skip the number of core units you have to complete in Advanced Computing and do more advanced course work will also be

Congratulations for HSC and good luck with your decision. Remember this is my two cents but I'm not an expert in this field or Science/Computing in general (dropped Science for HSC haha) so I think maybe you should try and contact the university about the courses or even try to talk to different students about the courses.

All the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)