Bachelor of Science (Advanced)/Bachelor of Laws? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I want to complete a Bachelor of Science (Advanced)/Bachelor of Laws at UNSW, however I'm kind of conscious of the fact that I would probably never use the science degree (just personal interest) and the workload would be pretty intense. Does anyone here do this degree/know anyone who has? Does it seem like a redundant and difficult combination?

lawstu

HSC
I feel like I should be able to answer this, but I can't at this hour. I can answer your questions with "it depends".

You may not use your science degree (what majors or subjects do you have in mind?), but I'm sure there'd be ways to make it work or use things learnt from those classes.

To be frank, there's truly very little that you learn at university that prepares you adequately or well for the real world.

Proper science can be pretty brutal (not psych or history/phil of science), but I've known people to make it work. Some enter doing B.Sc./LL.B. but end up doing B.Sc./LL.B. with an Honours year in science. Some go 'off the rails' as it were and drop law to pursue science too. Some graduate with flying colours in both, with or without science honours, and utilise that scientific knowledge in some manner relevant to law or use that thinking or skills in some way.

Some people think about IP, environmental, med, crim, etc. law or whatever (e.g., policy, journalism) prior to enrolling or during their studies. That's great for giving yourself drive, but you also have to manage your expectations and moderate your ambitions/goals - not too low, not too high, not too narrow, and not too broad. Life doesn't work out as planned for most of us and you have to be flexible about it or live one day at a time.

It really depends on what you're interested in / makes you happy, what you want, what you put in, what you'd like to get out, and what you actually get out of it all (e.g., all Hs in your courses? This precludes many from ever being competitive for clerkships at top-tier firms, for instance).

So basically, that was my way of suggesting that science/law isn't 'redundant'.

Difficult is pretty subjective. I'm sure you're a clever cookie, and your being offered law will only validate that all the more. In any case, I'm sure you'd manage that workload.

This is all over the place. Sorry for that but I hope this somehow helps.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Hey I was enrolled in science advanced/law last sem but switched over to science/law so I think I can help! Like lawstu was saying, your second degree doesn't make a difference in terms of a career in law. So do what you want. I really depends how you work etc - I personally found advanced science and law too intense - I'm into environmental science so I planned on doing climate science but found that too intensive, so switched to science with a major in geography. I'm enjoying this much more. I also realised I didn't want to do honours. It's good to stay as flexible as possible, so try doing advanced science/law and you can always change from there. Personally, I'm trying to get into environmental management/law so having the science degree and law is a bonus in this area.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Thanks so much to both of you. My plan is actually to go into international relations. It's my ultimate goal to work in the ICC/ICJ. I know that the practical degree to take is international/laws, which was always my plan, especially as it would allow me to continue French to a professional proficiency. However, I've been really taken with my chemistry course (which I'd initially planned to drop for the HSC) and I'm doing quite well, so it's something I'd really enjoy continuing. I would want very much to focus on Chemistry for my majors as I detest physics and aren't overly intrigued by biology. I feel like you said exactly what I've been trying to explain to people lawstu! Everyone seems really surprised that someone with a solid humanities set is enjoying and topping Chemistry, but the logical, rational way of thinking in Chemistry is hardly a far cry from the way in which a lawyer has to learn to think. Whether that's worth a whole degree, I can't really say for sure though. You do make an exceptionally valid point, better off enjoying and doing excellently in a less pragmatic degree than being bored by and under performing in something I find less interesting. Thanks a lot for your encouragement :)

Timeslowsdown, I can definitely see why you would actually need the science degree in the field you want to work, how do you find the cross-disciplinary program at UNSW?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
If you really want to kill yourself workwise go full retard and do Engineering/Law

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If you really want to kill yourself workwise go full retard and do Engineering/Law
Nah, never go full retard. But seriously, chemical engineering looks pretty decent. Is it really a lot more work than just a straight out B. Sc?

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Nah, never go full retard. But seriously, chemical engineering looks pretty decent. Is it really a lot more work than just a straight out B. Sc?
From what I've heard - yes. I have a friend doing chemical engineering/law and she's literally dying. But I know as a single degree it is much more intense that science, although this varies according to what you major in. I wouldn't worry about work load though if you enjoy it. Look up university handbooks for chemical engineering, and see if the individual courses interest you. If so, then the workload shouldn't be a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)