Bachelor of Science Majors/Minors (1 Viewer)

M'broughRockz

HSC
I need a bit a help on this majors and minors stuff. I sought of understand how they work.....but im not sure what to go for... I Originally wanted b health science, but i got b science...so does anyone know what majors/minors to go for that would provide me with the same career options as a degree in b heatlth science..

I like science, but i don't wana be stuck doing maths ext 1, wtf....im also interested in the business area... so can anyone help..wat would they recommend..

thanks in advance :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hi M'Brough!

I'm sorry I couldn't get to your PM, since I actually replied to this topic yesterday, but then a "Page could not be displayed" occurred...and I lost my whole message. I'll re-type it below, but in a condensed format.

Here's your question:
M'broughRockz said:
i need a bit a help...for the b science course.

wats the major + electives thing.

For example Anatomy (major) + accounting (minor)
i understand that, which is an electivve??

thnx
I'll add my reply here brb.

Rekkusu

HSC
Ok, unfortunately the same thing happened to me again! Asked me for my username + pass, then once I log in again, my post has disappeared!!!

One last time lol. Electives are merely courses that are not of your Major & Minor or Major & Major sequence. I'll give you an example:

Now, let's divide this into steps:

Step 1: Head to Bachelor of Sci degree in UNSW's Online Handbook, and pick a Major +Minor or Major + Major sequence.

Step 2: Say I pick Anatomy (major) + Genetics (major), open each one up thru Online Handbook

Step 3: Look at Stage 1 (=year 1 of this degree) for both Anatomy & Genetics:

Anatomy:
  • 6 UOC Level I CHEM
Genetics:
Step 4: Now, all these courses proposed are "REQUIRED courses" needed to get you to 2nd Year of B Sci. Of course you will need to check the individual course pre-requisites of 2nd year courses as well.

Step 5: You can see that Genetics & anatomy have some overlapped courses, taking all these into account, you're doing 6 x 6 UOC = 36 UOC total of courses in your first year. HOWEVER, a rule in Bachelor of Science is that a student must complete 144 units by the end of their degree equivalent to 24 UOC per semester = 4 courses per sem.

Step 6: Now, a full year must equal to 48 UOC worth of courses, because of your chosen major + major sequence, you've only got 36 UOC, so...we've got 12 UOC left over = 2 courses.

Step 7: these 2 courses can be chosen within any school of the faculty of science as well as other approved faculties (these courses can be taken off other minor/major sequences within the B Sci degree), these courses are what Universities call "Electives".

Ok I hope this helped alot. If you're still not sure about the right path to take, I would encourage you to go to Enrolment Day @ UNSW On 29th January, where more experienced Students/Official people can help you out. :wave:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
if you are intending to major in a biology-based area i think those subjects are enough. if not, do some physics.

Rekkusu

HSC
If you're looking at just 6 UOC worth of Chemistry and 6 UOC worth of Mathematics, then...you're looking at a major @ Anatomy & Pathology-based subjects.

Your remaining courses can be electives chosen from School of Computer Science, Philosophy, etc.

FeelBare

HSC
(I'm not really sure if this is the right place to put this.)

I also wanted B Health Science but I got into B Science at UNSW like M'broughRockz. Plan A had been that I complete a "relevant course" (i.e. B Health Science) and then go on to do that Master of Health Science - Medical Radiation Sciences (Diagnostic Radiography) [it's going to takes ages...]. However, since I'm stuck with B Science I gotta find a major that's related to MRS but I see nothing really related to MRS stuff? :confused:

Anatomy
Biochemistry
Biological Anthropology
Biological Science
Biotechnology
Chemistry
Ecology
Environmental Earth Science
Food Science and Nutrition
Genetics
Geography
Geology
History and Philosophy of Science
Marine Science (Marine Biology)
Marine Science (Marine Geology)
Marine Science (Physical Oceanography)
Materials Science
Mathematics
Medical Microbiology and Immunology
Microbiology
Molecular Biology
Pharmacology
Philosophy
Physical Oceanography
Physics
Physiology
Psychology
Safety Science
Spatial Information Systems
Statistics
Toxicology
Vision Science

Heck, I'm so confused...

Any help would be great~

Or should I transfer from B Science (since B Science isn't really "relevant" to MRS and to do the masters, it states that a relevant bachelor's degree is required) to B Health Science and then do that masters? *dies* 1yr + 3yrs + 2yrs = 6yrs :eek:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think B Sc is relevant to your Masters degree. When they say "relevant" it means in similar fields, like medical sciences.. it doesn't mean you have to do exactly radiation medical science in your undergrad. What are irrelevant are Arts, or musics, and stuff like that.

Coonsider in majoring in genetics, physiology, pathology and biochemistry.

FeelBare

HSC
haha.. um... well

- Bachelor's degree (pass) in a relevant field.
- maintain a credit average throughout the masters

And I just emailed the MRS people at USYD today about how competitive it is to get in, say like how many places and stuff. I'll get back to you when they get back to me (haha, the lady is on leave or something; it said so on her answering machine^^).

FeelBare

HSC
dynasty said:
off topic sorry>< but are masters hard to get into?
Well ignore my previous post haha; here's the response I got:

At this point in time, all of our places in the Master of Diagnostic Radiography course are either domestic or international full fee paying places. This year we offered 27 places, next year we will consider raising this number but it would be safe to assume there will be approximately 30 places. You might also want to consider our other graduate entry Masters course offerings in Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Therapy, both of which lead to professional entry in exciting and rapidly evolving fields in the advanced use of radiation instrumentation for diagnostic imaging and patient treatment. We expect to offer up to 15 places in each of these courses next year.

The entry criteria for all 3 courses are based on your academic performance (minimum credit point average), the relevance to medical radiation sciences of the units of study you completed in your undergraduate degree (physics and health science subjects, eg physiology, are considered highly relevant) and your responses to a questionnaire.

If you have any further questions about these new courses, Maila Agudera is the program coordinator and she will be happy to answer your questions.

DFEE :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Talking about masters here and it being DFEE at USYD.

What about PhD of microbio at UNSW, is that CSP or DFEE, also what about the requirements?

Um I jsut read on the BABS website of UNSW and it says that a PhD can be undertaken after a successfulk year of masters. They also say you have to do honours.

So is this how it works.

3yrs-bachelor + 1yr-honours + 1yr-masters + 3yrs PhD. In total 8 yrs.

What is the median salary of each of these stages, e.g.
bachelor=$????
honours=$????
masters=$????
PhD=$????

This is all assuming I do microbio or even med micro/immuno.

If i have to do the whole 8 years and the salary aint that diff to 4/5 years then what the heck... Hmm....

Last edited:

FeelBare

HSC
(DraconisV, sorry I don't know how to answer your query.)

How many hours is everyone (B Science people at UNSW) doing? :confused:

Rekkusu said:
you're doing 6 x 6 UOC = 36 UOC total of courses in your first year. HOWEVER, a rule in Bachelor of Science is that a student must complete 144 units by the end of their degree equivalent to 24 UOC per semester = 4 courses per sem.
I've got 17 hours (I chose to do Physiology: BABS1201, CHEM1011 and MATH1031 as stated in the Science 2007 Enrolment Guide I was sent today). The question really is: do I need to choose a minor or major to make the Major + Major or Major + minor sequence??? =O

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
DraconisV said:
So is this how it works.

3yrs-bachelor + 1yr-honours + 1yr-masters + 3yrs PhD. In total 8 yrs.
No. It's either:

3 yrs Bachelor -> 1.5 yr Masters -> 3-4 yrs PhD

OR

4 yrs Bachelor (Hons) -> 3-4 yrs PhD

If you do not have Honours, you need to do a Masters prior to a PhD.

DraconisV said:
What is the median salary of each of these stages, e.g.
bachelor=$????
honours=$????
masters=$????
PhD=$????
Unfortunately, this kind of information is not readily available. I can tell you that the median starting salary for a Bachleor is $40 930 (not sure if this includes or excludes honours students) (2004), and for Postgraduate Course work (not research) is $56 460 (2004).

dummyjai

HSC
wellll.......

seems like ur stuck with me in chem mate..

ARSENAL RULZ!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)