Bachelor of Science - Majors (1 Viewer)

nicodemus

HSC
Hello to all forumers...

I'm an international student who's going to enrol in ANU in February 2010, studying BSc.

I'm intending to major in Chemistry, maybe a double major because that's my interest... But I'm also interested in Biology, especially immunology, microbiology and stuff like these...

So my question here is what is the maximum number of majors can we do in a BSc degree? Can I do like 3 majors?

For eg. Double major in Chemistry and another major in Immunology & Microbiology...

I just want to clarify this issue so that I can roughly plan out my route... I can't really exactly find it in the handbook. If it is there, could someone please kindly point it out to me? (I must be an idiot for not noticing it if there is)

Thanks a lot! :)

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I think the only limit to doing majors is how many you can fit in! I know somebody who has 3 majors, so it is do-able. I don't know if all three majors will go on your transcript though, its possible only 2 can be put down.

nicodemus

HSC
Thanks chooette..

So does that mean I can choose which major I want it to be written on my transcript?

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
all of yr majors will appear on your transcript. I'm doing 3 and they'll all be on there.

it's a really good idea to try and plan out yr courses like what you're doing. You don't want to get to 3rd year and find out there's some prerequisite course you were meant to do but didn't...

also, ANU has a really awesome, supportive Chemistry dept. If you decide to do a chem major i'm sure you'll love it!

adamcg

HSC
also, ANU has a really awesome, supportive Chemistry dept. If you decide to do a chem major i'm sure you'll love it!
Yea, i got that impression from the open day. They had a really cool presentation thing!

Does anyone know what the Physics department is like?

nicodemus

HSC
That's cool!! Glad to hear that! :)

Anyway, does anyone around here is doing a chemistry major at ANU? I wanted to listen to their experience studying Chemistry.

Is it difficult? How much is the average workload? How are the tutorials and lab sessions? How many hours of lectures a week?

By the way, I'm planning what subjects should I take next year based on the 2009 Undergrad handbook as the 2010 handbook isn't published yet (on the website that is). Anyone know whether there is much difference between the subjects offered in 2009 and 2010?

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I'm currently doing honours in chemistry, with a double major. The chemistry courses, especially first year, will be more or less the same next year, and most others will be too. The studyat website will probably get updated to next years courses before too long.

I've never really found the courses super difficult, they tend to be 3 lectures a week with a 3hr lab (4hr in 2nd and 3rd year). Each lab has a lab report with it, which are really straightforward in first year, and the rest of the assessment is exams on the lecture material. The labs are pretty easy if you've done a bit of chem, they're pretty much just getting you used to labs and teaching some of the basic skills, if you're quick you can normally get out at least 30min early.

There is always lots of help available in chemistry if you're struggling, with optional tutes, larger groups and smaller ones running many times a week, and the lecturers themselves are approachable too.

I started chemistry in first year pretty much because I'd done it in school, but I found the courses really interesting, which is why I kept going, and I really enjoy doing lab work (so see me around next year for a PhD).

nicodemus

HSC
Thanks a lot chooette! Glad to hear that! Looking forward to study Chem at ANU! :haha:

nicodemus

HSC
Chooette... Could you recommend some textbooks that are needed for Chemistry? Which textbooks are compulsory and which are not?

Do we need any scientific calculator for Chemistry? If yes, what scientific calculator is recommended?

And is there someone around here taking Maths major? How difficult is the Maths? Planning to take another Major in Maths...

Thanks people! :)

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
When I did first year there were 2 text books for chem, neither of them were compulsory. I don't think I opened either of them all year except when I missed a lecture, and they're in the library. I think they might be different books now, judge for yourself if you need them.

You just need a normal calculator for chemistry, probably the one you used in high school (in chemistry you only really need logs and powers). Some exams won't let you take in programmable calculators, so don't rush out and buy one if you don't have one.

I did first year maths (1115 and 1116) and found them pretty hard, especially not having done any linear algebra before, but it is do-able. Definitely buy the textbooks or have a friend with them.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Chooette... Could you recommend some textbooks that are needed for Chemistry? Which textbooks are compulsory and which are not?

Do we need any scientific calculator for Chemistry? If yes, what scientific calculator is recommended?

And is there someone around here taking Maths major? How difficult is the Maths? Planning to take another Major in Maths...

Thanks people! :)
I'm doing a maths (double) major. I guess it's pretty difficult for the most part, though that could be because I'm doing all of the hard courses. ANU has more of a focus on pure maths, but there are enough interesting subjects that are somewhat applied and not ridiculously difficult in order to get a major in maths.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I would've thought it would be more beneficial to take statistics instead of maths. Although that would depend on where you want to go with your degree.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I would've thought it would be more beneficial to take statistics instead of maths. Although that would depend on where you want to go with your degree.
To go with chemistry, some of the mathematical modelling courses could be quite handy. Plus there's courses on environmental maths, mathematical biology, and so on. Statistics is much more helpful with areas like psychology, bits of biology, and business/economics areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)