Bachelor of science or bSci (Advanced) (1 Viewer)

H2Oo.

HSC
N/A
Hi,
Is it true that completing a bSci (Advanced) and bachelor of medical science involves better career opportunities than if you did a bachelor of science.

Has anyone completed a bSci (Advanced) or bachelor of science or bachelor of medical science? What are the employment opportunities out there? Is it high? What I'm really asking is, is it easy to get a job straight a way and earn lots?

Please reply.

H2Oo.

HSC
N/A
Sorry disregard that. How much would you earn after finishing a bachelor of science/medical science or advanced science?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
h2oh2o said:
Sorry disregard that. How much would you earn after finishing a bachelor of science/medical science or advanced science?
I'm not really sure about that because statistically most BSc graduates move on and do something else. Those ones who are a bit more serious about a career in science would complete an honours year, that's when you can generally start to call yourself a scientist and apply for research positions and other decent jobs. And the really career-minded ones complete a PhD and run their own labs within universities or research institutions.

I guess with a basic undergraduate BSc you could find work at a diagnostic lab as a diagnostic lab technician in places like these:

Dorevitch Pathology - Home

Western Diagnostic Pathology

QML Pathology

Symbion Health - Pathology

Symbion Health - Pathology

I'm not really sure how much you'd make starting off at these labs, somewhere between $30k to $45k maybe? Someone else might be able to give you a clearer idea.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
h2oh2o said:
Thanks for replying. It was helpful.
You're welcome. It might be more helpful to find out where the other undergrad BSc graduates go (the ones who don't go on with honours/PhD and a career in science).

I forgot to mention that pharmaceutical sales can be a significantly lucrative option for a basic BSc graduate, particularly if you are able to obtain employment with one of the major pharmaceutical companies like GlaxoKlineSmith. A fresh BSc graduate can make a lot of money (anywhere around $40k t0 $60k I think, again if someone else could confirm, that would be great) straight out of uni, if you can get through the interview process and if you have the gift of the gab.

I'm sure there are other areas you could go into but the path is not as obvious as, say, a medical graduate who would obviously would go and practice medicine, or a dental graduate, or physiothery graduate, or even an engineering graduate, architecture grad and so on.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
I'm not particularly familiar with the employment opportunity of BMedSci students, since all my friends who did BMedSci went on to do GradMed. For science, it really varies depending on your area of major. Should you choose to complete a major in biochemistry, or pathology (or there about), you are looking at pharmaceutical firms as RogueAcademic has already mentioned.

There are other options, too. One often overlooked is staistics major. Staticians (if I recall correctly) are amongst the highest earning science graduates. I'm not too sure on the figure, but since there's not a lot of supply of staticians out there, but a lot of demand, you won't expect it to be too bad.

Psychology major is another option you could go into. And the career onlook is pretty obvious. (Though I'm not too sure if psych belongs to Sci faculty or Arts faculty at this moment)

Chemistry major can also lead you into pharmaceutical pathway should you choose to focus on the biomedicinal side of chemistry. It can also lead you to industry should you choose more industrially relevant subjects.

Physics (this I ain't too sure about), Biology (this neither)...

I think BSc offers you more option where you want to end up, whereas BMedSc is more focused in the medical research type of things.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Staticians (if I recall correctly) are amongst the highest earning science graduates. I'm not too sure on the figure, but since there's not a lot of supply of staticians out there, but a lot of demand, you won't expect it to be too bad.
Financial Maths and Statistics major ftw!:D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Just do a BSc with some advanced subjects in first year and see if you can hack it. If so, go Adv, if not go BSc...

doink

Clone
HSC
Last i heard both lead to shit employment opportunities and shit money.

bad luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)