Bachelor of Teaching/Bachelor of Arts (1 Viewer)

Cerry

HSC
I want to be a primary school teacher, and Newcastle is the only uni that I've been looking at going to that has a teaching/arts degree, and is also the only place where I can do German as part of my degree.
BUT the UAI is only 60, which is about 15 points lower than the average UAI for teaching courses, and that seems a little strange to me.
Does anyone know what's up with the UAI? Or is anyone who's doing the course able to tell me what it's like?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
No SJ :(
I think Captain Gh3y does teaching, no?
I don't know how to explain the UAI of 60 but I do know a shitload of people do teaching, I know a few primary school ones, and I have no idea about the quality of the degree. Gosh I'm helpful.

(Useful answers may come later :))

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I hear you can learn an instrument as as course.

Damn teachers :/

Virious

HSC
Cerry said:
I want to be a primary school teacher, and Newcastle is the only uni that I've been looking at going to that has a teaching/arts degree, and is also the only place where I can do German as part of my degree.
BUT the UAI is only 60, which is about 15 points lower than the average UAI for teaching courses, and that seems a little strange to me.
Does anyone know what's up with the UAI? Or is anyone who's doing the course able to tell me what it's like?
yeah i agree primary teaching is on my list too but im kinda glad that the UAI is small for it.
there is a greater need for primary teachers thats my guess for why the UAI is so low for it.
encouragement to take the course i suppose

em_516

bludging..
HSC
A small UAI for teaching will lead to even more shit teachers.

what a dilemma!

HSC
I want to teach too. Sydney Uni has great degrees for teaching. You should check it out XD
the UAI is around 82

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
UAI is (supposedly) reflective of only the supply & demand for a course

The number of places for teaching at Newcastle is very large (~1000 in all fields, I couldn't tell you exactly how many of those spots are for primary teachers)

And the interest in doing teaching among the "academically elite" at high schools is fairly low, with plenty of exceptions obviously.

So the UAI has dropped steadily over the last few years from mid-70s to a flat 60... in reality you can probably get in with under 60, but they tend to have a minimum figure they're willing to publish as it's too embarrassing otherwise.

If you're a local there's a 4 point bonus as well, so you could effectively get in with anything over about 50.

I'm doing secondary so I won't comment on the course, although the first year education subjects are general for all teachers, and mostly purely academic/theoretical that you may or may not find useful or interesting.

The faculty itself has (or has had recently) some great academics and achieved a lot in terms of its research being taken up by schools, I don't know of any other uni in NSW that's done more in that way.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
also

em_516 said:
A small UAI for teaching will lead to even more shit teachers.
There's people who start out the degree because they think it'll be easy, because they couldn't think of anything else, or (commonly) because they couldn't get into anything else at uni.

Fortunately lots of them don't finish the degree, usually locals who only come to uni to party :rolleyes:

god there's some deadshits doing it -_-

still the job itself isn't rly academic so any of them could be good at it if they rly wanted to, i can't see a huge benefit in conscripting all the 99+ UAI kids into teaching, most of them can't even talk to ppl anyway

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Haha fair enough. I know a few people who chose teaching because they didn't know what else to do/wanted opportunities to go overseas etc. and it just makes me cringe a little bit :S

Virious

HSC
em_516 said:
Haha fair enough. I know a few people who chose teaching because they didn't know what else to do/wanted opportunities to go overseas etc. and it just makes me cringe a little bit :S
well ive really only got it on my list because my dad recommended it to me since i love kids and i am good with them so meh ive been pretty commited to it every since. though when i heard about psychology that intreged me more, but the teaching side. meh im kinda lost lol

~untitled~

HSC
katie tully said:
i know somebody doing teaching who got a UAI of like, 52.

seriously.

home schooling my kid.
I know of people with uais around the 40 mark in primary teaching, they all get accepted early.

Haha, piano, sounds totally biomed-esque.

Virious

HSC
shit 40? thats a bit extreme to let a UAI of 40 in primary teaching kids are our future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)