Bad first assessment marks and Bad cohort? (1 Viewer)

itswags98

HSC
Hey guys i got my marks back for my first assessment task:

English Standard: 80%
Senior Science:85%
Business Studies:75%
Legal Studies: 65%
Maths Advanced: 53%

I had poor time management and didnt study in advance even though i had 3 assessments within 2 days of each other and boom. My schools ranking is around 400. Am i screwed? I wanna get an ATAR of 80+ and i think i might have fucked up my chances. Maths teacher keeps telling us that it will scale and its not our raw score that gets calculated but idk what to believe.
i believe that i can get 85%+ in rest of subjects except maths in next assessment tasks

trumanblack

HSC
N/A
All that matters is your ranking. However, generally low ranking schools tend to have easier exams so the low marks may be an area of concern. Look at the questions you got wrong and spend this time to revise the topics you aren't certain with. Also, if you have the funds look at getting a maths tutor - you're only doing 10 units so it WILL count.

Of course you need to improve. What else can you do?

The first few assessments tend to be of low weighting i.e. accounting for only 10/15% so it should be fine. Getting an 80+ requires consistent work so if you continue to work hard and effectively the results will show! Also, look into bonus points and additional schemes (e.g. E12 for USYD) directed at those attending low ranked schools - do this NOW so you dont forget later on :)

leehuan

HSC
Hey guys i got my marks back for my first assessment task:

English Standard: 80%
Senior Science:85%
Business Studies:75%
Legal Studies: 65%
Maths Advanced: 53%

I had poor time management and didnt study in advance even though i had 3 assessments within 2 days of each other and boom. My schools ranking is around 400. Am i screwed? I wanna get an ATAR of 80+ and i think i might have fucked up my chances. Maths teacher keeps telling us that it will scale and its not our raw score that gets calculated but idk what to believe.
i believe that i can get 85%+ in rest of subjects except maths in next assessment tasks
That's cause your maths teacher IS NOT WRONG.

As trumanblack said, it is your ranking that is the ultimate decider. At the end of the day, if the entire cohort kills the HSC exam, according to moderation EVERYONE's marks will be raised.

Being a first assessment task and low weighted, there is still a ton of opportunity for you to reestablish your rank.

itswags98

HSC
If i get first or second in every subject im doing it wont really matter would it as the rest of the class would do pretty bad IMHO. So i kinda feel fucked up for not choosing a different high school. I also get 4 bonus points.

leehuan

HSC
If i get first or second in every subject im doing it wont really matter would it as the rest of the class would do pretty bad IMHO. So i kinda feel fucked up for not choosing a different high school. I also get 4 bonus points.
Um, if you get first, or second and inching behind by a tiny amount, a shit cohort doesn't bring you down. Moderation preserves 1st place.

So like I said, establish your rank.

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
From experience, I can tell you it is possible.
I got an ATAR of 97 from a school ranked 400+, with cohorts that weren't exactly great and included people who simply didn't try.

The only thing that will hold you back from reaching your goal is YOU. Fix up your time management, get a better study schedule so you're prepared come assessment days. Use a tutor on occasion if you need, start writing good notes and build on them. If you try your hardest, buckle down and smash the rest of your tasks (as Trumanblack [[love the name]] said, the one's you've performed not so well in are probably only small), I don't doubt you'll find it easy to climb up into those higher ranks and position yourself to get the ATAR you want. And I wouldn't fuss over being exactly first or second - as long as you are in the top group of kids who work consistently hard your final marks wont be adversely affected.

Hopefully your current results will motivate you to work harder, more consistently, and with more effort towards your goal.

helloimyellow

HSC
Don't sweat it too much, usually first assessment is about ~15% of your internals. Treat this like a wake-up call, and use these summer holidays to get ahead of your cohort. Write syllabus notes on your sciences and social sciences, do textbook exercises for maths, and read over your texts for english (although you seem to be doing ok there). Good luck!!

Drsoccerball

HSC
At the end of term 3 my English advanced rank was 45/47... By term 4 it went to 32/47. Got 91% in the exam and my school mark went to 79% so I got 85% :). Dw man keep your head up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)