• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bad in English Advanced vs Good in English Extension? (1 Viewer)

conniecookie

HSC
hey guys I'm ranked first in ext 1 (woohoo!) and I do quite well in it, but i'm ranked pretty low for adv english and i don't get good marks, i'm sitting at a low B atm. i'm just worried because would this affect anything??? would it weigh down my ATAR ?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Being ranked first in a subject is the best position that you can be in, as that will allow you to maximise your Assessment Mark, which is the mark that you receive that reflects your internal performance and contributes half of your overall HSC mark in the subject. In your case, maintaining your rank in English Extension 1 will mean being in an optimal position as you approach this subject's HSC exam.

On the other hand, a low rank in English Advanced may reflect poor internal performance in this subject. However, whether this applies to you, and the extent to which it may, depend on the academic capability of your school cohort. Placing low within a low-performing cohort typically implies a lower performance standard compared to placing low within a high-performing cohort. You should therefore check whether your school's English Advanced cohort is academically capable (you can also check the performance of your school's previous HSC cohorts), allowing you to better understand your current level of performance in the subject. In both cases, it is important to note that any rank improvement is encouraged as it will likely increase your chances of receiving a higher Assessment Mark.

Additionally, the extent to which your ATAR will be affected will depend on the units that end up counting towards it. Essentially, 10 units will count towards your ATAR, consisting of your best 2 units of English and your best 8 units across your other subjects. Since you are taking 3 units of English, you may have either 2 or 3 units count towards your ATAR, as follows:
  • 2 units of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1
  • 2 units of English Advanced
  • 1 unit of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1 - In this particular case, the effect of English Advanced on your ATAR (whether positive or negative) will be halved because it would only contribute 1 unit towards your ATAR.
Of course, these combinations may depend on your total number of units.

I hope this helps! 😄

Starship22

HSC
Lmao I had a similar probelm with maths ext and adv. Go a really high rank for ext and got a very average rank for advanced.

conniecookie

HSC
Being ranked first in a subject is the best position that you can be in, as that will allow you to maximise your Assessment Mark, which is the mark that you receive that reflects your internal performance and contributes half of your overall HSC mark in the subject. In your case, maintaining your rank in English Extension 1 will mean being in an optimal position as you approach this subject's HSC exam.

On the other hand, a low rank in English Advanced may reflect poor internal performance in this subject. However, whether this applies to you, and the extent to which it may, depend on the academic capability of your school cohort. Placing low within a low-performing cohort typically implies a lower performance standard compared to placing low within a high-performing cohort. You should therefore check whether your school's English Advanced cohort is academically capable (you can also check the performance of your school's previous HSC cohorts), allowing you to better understand your current level of performance in the subject. In both cases, it is important to note that any rank improvement is encouraged as it will likely increase your chances of receiving a higher Assessment Mark.

Additionally, the extent to which your ATAR will be affected will depend on the units that end up counting towards it. Essentially, 10 units will count towards your ATAR, consisting of your best 2 units of English and your best 8 units across your other subjects. Since you are taking 3 units of English, you may have either 2 or 3 units count towards your ATAR, as follows:
  • 2 units of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1
  • 1 unit of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1 - In this particular case, the effect of English Advanced on your ATAR (whether positive or negative) will be halved because it would only contribute 1 unit towards your ATAR.
Of course, these combinations may depend on your total number of units.

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you so much!!! this is very helpful,, when you say adv would only contribute 1 unit what does that actually mean? is it half of my total mark? also - i do extension 2 as well, would this change anything ?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thank you so much!!! this is very helpful,, when you say adv would only contribute 1 unit what does that actually mean? is it half of my total mark? also - i do extension 2 as well, would this change anything ?
No worries! Should English Advanced contribute only 1 unit towards your ATAR, this simply means that the effect that the subject will have on your ATAR (whether positive or negative) will be halved because it is only contributing 1 unit as opposed to 2. The actual mark that you receive for the subject will still be out of 100.

Yes, taking English Extension 2 results in additional potential combinations. Assuming that you have more than 10 units worth of subjects in total (if you only take 10 units, all 4 units of English would naturally have to count towards your ATAR, along with the remaining 6 units), you may have 2, 3 or 4 units of English count towards your ATAR, as follows:
  • 2 units of English Advanced AND 1 unit of English Extension 1 OR 1 unit of English Extension 2
  • 1 unit of English Advanced AND 1 unit of English Extension 1 OR 1 unit of English Extension 2
  • 1 unit of English Extension 1 AND 1 unit of English Extension 2
  • 2 units of English Advanced AND 1 unit of English Extension 1 AND 1 unit of English Extension 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)