bad internal ranks, good hsc results? (1 Viewer)

hello10

HSC
Does anyone have any success stories or know of people that had bad ranks at school but lifted their ATAR by performing well in the HSC externals?

I go to a rank 300s school and my ranks are all in the top 10 but I've heard you need to be like top 3 in a low ranked school to even have a chance of getting a 99. Is there any chance for me to get an ATAR around 98-99 assuming I perform well in HSC?

(My trials are already finished)

SpecterLitt

HSC
depends on the strength of ur cohort and how well u perform in hsc, but unlikely

vinlatte

HSC
Does anyone have any success stories or know of people that had bad ranks at school but lifted their ATAR by performing well in the HSC externals?

I go to a rank 300s school and my ranks are all in the top 10 but I've heard you need to be like top 3 in a low ranked school to even have a chance of getting a 99. Is there any chance for me to get an ATAR around 98-99 assuming I perform well in HSC?

Yeah I have similar situation too. Very low school ranking and within top 10 in cohort for internals.

Is there a specific course you want to get to aim for a 99 atar?? Because realistically, chances are slim. However, you can still apply for early entry, alternative pathways, SRS schemes; many other ways than relying on a single atar.

vinlatte

HSC
Could you please tell why would her chances be slim, is it because of her school or cohort, or something else? Also if her ranks were higher would she be able to get an ATAR of 97+ ?
From what my teachers have said, ranking matters a lot in a school that is low ranking. Plus something about the collective cohort contributing to an amount of aggregate marks. I'm not too sure about this exactly, so don't rely on this.

It is possible to get a high atar, no doubt if they work hard. It's just school ranking may have an influence.

I shouldn't have said slim chances, there is still a chance. Just don't stress yourself with such a high atar. I assume the OP's end goal for high school is to go to uni, so the atar of 99 isn't everything.

idkkdi

HSC

Wait, do people from rank 300 schools score 98-99? I pass by a few schools sometimes on a road that I would assume to be 300-500 range, and they have a highest ATAR of <95.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Wait, do people from rank 300 schools score 98-99? I pass by a few schools sometimes on a road that I would assume to be 300-500 range, and they have a highest ATAR of <95.
Yeah @iStudent went to a 300 school
He got 99.9
And DrDusk with like a 98 or smth

SpecterLitt

HSC
How does your cohort affect your ATAR? I've read that if you're not in the bottom half of your cohort (and you're in the top ten), then your cohort can't affect you or something like that but idk
if your cohort is stornger than previous years, and perform better in the hsc exams than ur internals get moderated better.

ultra908

HSC
How does your cohort affect your ATAR? I've read that if you're not in the bottom half of your cohort (and you're in the top ten), then your cohort can't affect you or something like that but idk
Your cohort affects the moderation of your internal HSC marks. There is no steadfast rule about how you will be affected.
Say in the HSC exam, your school has one or two stellar students, but the rest are average. This is probably true in most low ranking schools. If you rank in the top 10, you can't expect your internal mark to be similar to those of similar ranks in top selective schools. The HSC system considers it much "harder" to rank in the top 10 at those schools, so your rank 10 is worth less internal marks. You always get your own external mark.
To get top ATARs at low ranking schools, its probably good to be very close to first, since you should be outperforming your cohort typically get lower ATARs.

iStudent

HSC
Wow that's awesome! What were your ranks like? Did you have to be first in everything?

Considering my ranks, what would be a realistic ATAR goal?
I was first in all my subjects. For top 10 I think 90-95 is a fairly realistic ATAR goal? I think 99 might be a difficult unless you REALLY ace your externals. You can also ask past years and check out what they got. Pretty typical for a 300 ranked school to get 1x 99, 1x 98 and the rest somewhere between 90-97

Nikolerak

HSC
I understand my school cohort affects my marks/ATAR, but is that the whole cohort or only students doing the same subjects as me?

Mozzarella sticks

HSC
Hey Guys,
My trials are currently going on and I know I am not going to perform very well in them. My school is smart but my personal ranks are bad (an atar trajectory of 83) and they are going to get worse. I am aiming for a 95+, do you guys think I will be able to achieve if I work super hard for the HSC even though I have shitty personal ranks.

Mozzarella sticks

HSC
Many students get caught up on the trials rather than focusing on the bigger picture, the HSC. Remember, the trials are trial runs of the HSC designed to assess your weaknesses. This means if you do good or bad in them, evaluate why that happened as there will always be room to improve. For example, whether that be a lack of study, failure to hone in on a specific topic or working on exam technique, use the trials to do well in the HSC. If you do not perform well, you can work on those weaknesses to ace the HSC. However, this does not work the other way around. Performing well in the trials and badly in the HSC will not yield a high ATAR. If your school rank is high, top 50 I would say, getting 95 should be possible. Nevertheless, use the trials wisely.
My school is in like somewhere between the 250s

HSC
Many students get caught up on the trials rather than focusing on the bigger picture, the HSC. Remember, the trials are trial runs of the HSC designed to assess your weaknesses. This means if you do good or bad in them, evaluate why that happened as there will always be room to improve. For example, whether that be a lack of study, failure to hone in on a specific topic or working on exam technique, use the trials to do well in the HSC. If you do not perform well, you can work on those weaknesses to ace the HSC. However, this does not work the other way around. Performing well in the trials and badly in the HSC will not yield a high ATAR. If your school rank is high, top 50 I would say, getting 95 should be possible. Nevertheless, use the trials wisely.
My school is currently 69th in the HSC (no, really) and I've got averages of around 50% and rank low in many of my subjects and haven't really studied for trials. What do you believe the is the best ATAR range I could achieve?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)