• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Balance of payments and other stuff i am dying on (1 Viewer)

kirabolton

HSC
Analyse the impact of globalisation on Australia's balance of payments and evaluate government policies to improve Australia's international competitiveness...

PLEASE SHOOT ME!
PLEASE? WILL YOU? I stupidly didn't listen last term and this in class essay is in a few weeks and i have no idea what it's about...like i know sort of what the balance of payments IS, but ARGH...does anyone have any idea what i should do?

HSC
intro
- define globaln
- define BOP and briefly outline its components (current account & capital and financial account)
- insight of gov't plans to improve IC (international competitiveness) + definition (?)

body
- outline, discuss global factors affecting BOP (eg increased trade btw nations via blocs/agreements, WTO's role, interest rates, exchange rates....etc)
- disucss how each factor affects IC (eg depreciation of $A increases export revenue, decreases import expenditure, improving IC and therefore BOP, opposite for appreciation of $A)
- outline, discuss, and comment on effectiveness specific current gov't policies (eg MP/FP, use of RBA and its affects of increasing/decreasing interest rates...etc)

conclusion
- insight of general effects of globaln.
- PROPOSE future gov't policies and their intended results on IC
- future effects of current policies on economy, BOP, IC...DO THEY WORK?
- comment on the current state of the economy and its affects on BOP/IC(eg how strong/weak is the $A?...any plans from the RBA? (from memory, the RBA is planning to push up interest rates)

NB: include statistical data where ever you can!!

Will Hunting

HSC
Yeah, what without wings said, but also, I can brief you on what you need to know...

1. Globalisation - characterised by trade liberalisation and exposure to global capital/financial markets. Just this should tell you that every category in the Balance of Payments will be affected. Access to G&S from economies with comparative advantages could mean a lower outflow of funds because of competitive prices, but then again, could be negatively influenced by the exchange rates involved. On the other hand, broadening of Australia's G&S market due to the presence of an external consumer base can offset the outflow with an increased inflow of foreign funds (would probably apply largely to industries in which Australia is the most efficient). Dude, because the global economic environment experiences so much variation, you should ask your teacher what "year" or "decade" your answer is supposed to draw from. Impacts were different 10 years ago to what they are now.

2. Increased FDI and portfolio investment will increase the Cap. and Fin. Account surplus, but reduce the CAD, as these forms of investment need to be serviced (read up on the "debt trap").

3. I could go on for awhile about each feature of the Balance of Payments and its response to activity on the global scale, but it'll be just as easy, and more worthwhile, for you to apply the same principles of "cause and effect" to your own preparatory measures. By the look of it, you drew a pretty healthy essay question. It should be easy so just relax, but make certain you're well prepared. Is it in class?

4. Last point on government incentives to improve global competitiveness - again, it'll depend on the areas of production demanding the most attention at the given time, but, generally speaking, subsidies are one of the public sector's strongest tools to this particular end, enabling prices to be lowered due to lower real production expenses and achievement of economies of scale, but having detrimental effects in the long term should the industry become dependent upon the transfer payments for survival. Then, of course, you have export incentive programs orchestrated by the government, but, also, trade liberalisation measures which expose industries to foreign sources of investment, allowing for capital widening and, possibly deepening, and more efficient production processes at the microeconomic level.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
This topic isn't the easiest to get a grasp of at the best of times, so make sure you listen in future. I'm having trouble getting a hold of the concepts so I take afternoon lessons with my economics teacher and he explains things to me in a lot further depth, but not all teachers are as nice as mine.

azza_3761

HSC
I actually thought BoP was pretty easy and straight forward. Allyou need to do is pay attention and put a little effort into learning the concept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)