• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

balancing sport/fitness with study (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so hsc year next term (im in year 11).
how do you guys balance fitness with study?
over the holidays i was thinking of getting into a habbit.
i don't do any sports, i used to do a bit of weight training (nothing special)
i still have a good physique though, but i think that's just because i have a lower BMI.

how do you balance it out?

i was thinking of a new timetable to implement in the holidays so that i can follow it up easier (and my body clock is adjusted) in the actual school period.

4am: wake up, prayer, meditation, QT (quiet time)
5 or 6 am: brisk/light jog or fast walk, followed by a few exercises mainly to get my core body temperature up (hopefully the sun is up, so i feel less tired)
knee raises, pushups, pullups,
6am: start with some weight training.
6.30 shower, brush teeth
7.00: breakfast (museli?)
7:20 leave home. (in holidays not sure what i will do).
anyway blah blah

get in bed by 10:00pm.

good plan?
also - should i have a quick shower before i get into bed?
i heard best to do a few hours before bedtime to let the core temperature to go down a few degrees)

quik.

HSC
Get more sleep, 6 hours is pushing it.

Play pickup games at lunch etc, easy way to get in some exercise as well as have a good time. As far as structured exercise it's really up to you and your schedule. An hour or so 3-4x a week would be a good start, whether that's cardio/weights/training for sport.

When I was in 11/12 I had soccer/athletics training 2x a week and I did some bodyweight stuff at home every day.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
quik. said:
Get more sleep, 6 hours is pushing it.

Play pickup games at lunch etc, easy way to get in some exercise as well as have a good time. As far as structured exercise it's really up to you and your schedule. An hour or so 3-4x a week would be a good start, whether that's cardio/weights/training for sport.

When I was in 11/12 I had soccer/athletics training 2x a week and I did some bodyweight stuff at home every day.
good idea.

though i've read this guide to 'effective' sleeping,
essentially its basically when they show you the different stages of sleep,
and what each stage does, and that REM sleep or deep sleep no.5 is the most effective sleep, thus getting ya nearly maximum potential sleep.

ill try to do that for the holidays, and see how i go :p

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
ive always wantd to know what to do bout my study and keeping fit.
i cant get up any earlier tho it kills, i get up at six now and im the worst morning person so yeh.
i do have a membership at the gym but i had to hold it cause i found i wasnt even going much.
but im doing my 8th grade music exams atm and will be studying a.mus pieces caus eim doing ext.music.
and im reallly struggling to fit all my study, at least 2hrs music practise a day and keeping fit too.
i do sport and stuff at school but still.
i dont know.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Unless you have been doing for a while, getting up at 5/6am to go for a run is going to get old really quickly. Maybe its just because Im not a morning person but your better off to like join a team or something that plays like on a tuesday night. and then do your knee raises, pushups, pullups on alternate days after school.

hairspray

HSC
I was so scared about doing the prelims exams would make me put on heaps of weight cos i didnt exercise at all for two whole weeks and ate heaps when i was stressed out. But in fact i lost 1.8kg, thank goodness !

Well as far as balancing my studies and keeping fit, i do 100 sit-ups when i wake up, 100 sit-ups before i go to bed and i go for 40 minute runs 3-4 for times a week.

Nat3skiz

HSC
hairspray said:
I was so scared about doing the prelims exams would make me put on heaps of weight cos i didnt exercise at all for two whole weeks and ate heaps when i was stressed out. But in fact i lost 1.8kg, thank goodness !

Well as far as balancing my studies and keeping fit, i do 100 sit-ups when i wake up, 100 sit-ups before i go to bed and i go for 40 minute runs 3-4 for times a week.
why all the sit ups?

hairspray

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
what a shame that sit ups don't do shit for flattening your stomach.
it doesnt? well i've been told by some guy it does. And if sit-ups dont flatten stomachs then running must cos sit-ups and running are the only forms of exercise i ever do.

Supah02

HSC
sit ups strenghtens your abs, if anything it makes your stomach bigger... running flattens your stomach... now ppl get off the net and hit the weights =)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm really failing at it right now.

Need to suck it up and go to the gym when it's busy, if that's when I'm free.

Pace_T

HSC
haha dont *only* just do sit ups. thats what fags like usher and chris brown do. squats and deads will do plenty for your core without it getting bulky (big stomach)
as for balancing i find that putting my fitness routine first is what keeps me going. 4 days a week i put aside 1.5 hours of study or whatever and just do my workout then i get back into study. even if i have a lot of work to do i still take time out for a workout.
about once or twice a year i take a week off which is usually when exams are happening. sometimes when im stressed cause i have a lot to do and definately dont feel like "wasting" time working out, i force myself to work out anyway, the endorphins or whatever you get afterwards are enough to relieve the stress and clear your mind so you can actually end up doing work a lot more effectively!
edit: oops i went for too long :eek:

Nat3skiz

HSC
hairspray said:
it doesnt? well i've been told by some guy it does. And if sit-ups dont flatten stomachs then running must cos sit-ups and running are the only forms of exercise i ever do.
burn more calories than you consume to flatten the stomach and eat healthy and keep up exercise to make sure it stays flat.

HSC
Theism: Good on you for wanting to get an exercise habit going during the holidays, that's exactly what I'm trying to do too :D

I reckon, just mix your routine up a bit, keep it fun (-as possible in those early hours), and ease into the routine. DO NOT try to do the whole thing at once, especially if you haven't been early rising before. Maybe for the first few weeks only do either weights or cardio, and switch each day? Like, do your shoulders, arms, abs for 30 mins on monday, then go running tuesday, do glutes, hamstrings, quads on wednesday, then maybe jogging again thursday, finish with some nice yoga or pilates for flexibility on friday :)

Because if you aim for too much too soon you'll burn out within like four days. That will suck, and fail the whole habit.

And also, 10pm- 4am is not enough sleep at all. Your studies are going to suffer majorly if you're sleep-deprived, and the extra exercise is just not worth it. If you want to wake at 4 you should probly be in bed by 8pm (which is hell early)... so if you aim for like 6 then 9-10pm would probly be ok.

what time are you normally waking up now?
If it's 5.30-6.00, then you could gradually set the time earlier- 15 mins earlier each week maybe? That's probably achievable in the long run.
If it's like 7.30, your body is going to get such a shock if you try waking at 4am. It will protest, no doubt, and willpower doesn't really work past the first three days. So aim for ~5.30 instead..?

Good luck!!
edit: also, having QT and meditation as soon as you wake up is going to make you fall back asleep ;) Maybe switch the orders of events round a bit- start off with the heart-pumping exercise that wakes you up, then after all the exercise is over, just before you leave for school, do the QT?
actually on second thought maybe you wanted QT before the rest of the family wakes up..? I dunno :D

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i wake up at 7.
haha.

hmm.
im trying to adjust the times so that when i go back to school and in year12,
that i'd be able to do it pretty cool.

ive read into sleeping patterns, and quality of sleep.
the earlier you wake up, the earlier your core temperature rises.

im getting a boxing station soon,
thats like the speed bag, floor to ceiling ball, pull up station, dips, knee raises.
i know the speed bag is very loud :p.

maybe i should just gradually increase the time i meditate/QT?
like wake up at 6 or something first, then gradually pull back till 4am or 4.30.
I read somewhere that you sleep in 90 minute cycles,
and you know when you wake up you are fully awake?
thats because when you woke up, you were at the end of the cycle, where REM sleep occurs, where your brain waves are essentially the same as that if you were awake (but watching TV or something).

i was thinking of timing it, so when i wake up, that i will feel ready to go :p.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
6 hours is not enough sleep. people our age need at least 8 hours. prayer at the start of the day is a really good thing to do =]]]]

but yeah i reckon do gym after school. seriously i do about 2 or 3 hours of study a night... and i still get in about 8 hours at the gym a week in.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
ps the basic sleep pattern is 2 hours of light sleep, 4 hours of deep sleep, and then time after that is REM. and if you have less than 6 hours your still in deep sleep mode when you wake up. its not like, 90 minute stages where it like switches around. its a progression. thats why you need more sleep than your getting. KEEP UP THE PRAYER. good luck with hsc. see you in heaven some day! haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)